Unexpected Surprise and a little Garmin help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
I have just got back into cycling over the last two months. I had a whole day to myself today so thought I would try a slightly longer ride. I have been doing between 15 and 20 miles a ride. So I get the Garmin touring out and get it to select a 25mile circular route. I set off and it's a beautiful if slightly chill day and I blindly follow Garmin around some pretty rural parts of Norfolk, most of which I have never seen before down some pretty tiny and very muddy roads/tracks. I see a nice cafe and think I'll have a stop and a coffee and check the mileage. I have already covered 25 miles and I know I have at least 12 more home. I'm in no hurry and I completed the ride doing 38 miles, my new personal best since returning to cycling. Has anybody else had this issue with Garmin ? Also having stopped for coffee I stopped the Garmin and saved the ride when requested but I could not get it to resume the route I was on, any advice welcome here, luckily I knew my way back from that stop.heres to some more planned longer rides over the Christmas holidays. Merry Christmas!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I have just got back into cycling over the last two months. I had a whole day to myself today so thought I would try a slightly longer ride. I have been doing between 15 and 20 miles a ride. So I get the Garmin touring out and get it to select a 25mile circular route. I set off and it's a beautiful if slightly chill day and I blindly follow Garmin around some pretty rural parts of Norfolk, most of which I have never seen before down some pretty tiny and very muddy roads/tracks. I see a nice cafe and think I'll have a stop and a coffee and check the mileage. I have already covered 25 miles and I know I have at least 12 more home. I'm in no hurry and I completed the ride doing 38 miles, my new personal best since returning to cycling. Has anybody else had this issue with Garmin ? Also having stopped for coffee I stopped the Garmin and saved the ride when requested but I could not get it to resume the route I was on, any advice welcome here, luckily I knew my way back from that stop.heres to some more planned longer rides over the Christmas holidays. Merry Christmas!
No idea on the Garmin issue, but well done on the metric half, you may even consider joining the challenge for 2017...

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
^^ what he said!
I've got a Garmin edge 200 - not sure of your model. If I stop it for a coffee shop, I don't save it but just leave it and then press resume. I think if you save it assumes you've finished?
But I also set the auto stop thingy, so that it only records moving time, so this automatically allows for the coffee stop.

And +1 for joining the half century challenge! The beginning of the 2016 challenge thread explains it - there will be a new one in 2017.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-2016-half-century-50-km-or-50-mile-a-month-challenge.193107/

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Cosmicbike and Spinney thanks for the encouragement and advice and I will definitely join the half century challenge. It is here I hold my hands up to being a plonker. I realise now I started the route in the wrong direction and having gone 5 or so miles with the Garmin complaining all the way I thought it's a nice day lets just follow it and see what happens. It rerouted me back to the original route and that is where I gained the extra mileage Doh! I hadn't realised I had been over the metric half century, that sounds really positive so I thank you for bringing it to my attention. Here's to the next ride and going the right way :smile:

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
^^ what he said!
I've got a Garmin edge 200 - not sure of your model. If I stop it for a coffee shop, I don't save it but just leave it and then press resume. I think if you save it assumes you've finished?
But I also set the auto stop thingy, so that it only records moving time, so this automatically allows for the coffee stop.

And +1 for joining the half century challenge! The beginning of the 2016 challenge thread explains it - there will be a new one in 2017.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-2016-half-century-50-km-or-50-mile-a-month-challenge.193107/
Thanks for the advice, love the pic. A Pratchett fan by any chance? Will definitely join the half century challenge.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Thanks for the advice, love the pic. A Pratchett fan by any chance? Will definitely join the half century challenge.
I don't think it's Pratchett (although I am a fan). I was in a bah-humbug mood about Xmas and just googled 'evil santa'!
Normal avatar will resume in the New Year at some point!

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
All good then - you made a mistake and:
- you learned from it
- you had a longer ride, that you enjoyed
- you found out about a new challenge for next year!
:cheers:
A win win situation all round as long as I can still walk tomorrow. Loving riding the bike again!

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
I don't think it's Pratchett (although I am a fan). I was in a bah-humbug mood about Xmas and just googled 'evil santa'!
Normal avatar will resume in the New Year at some point!
It was the location that gave it away to me

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Ah - I'm 'Under the Edge' because I live near the edge of the Cotswolds (not far from Wotton under Edge). No link with Pratchett intended, although interesting to find someone saw a link!

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Ah - I'm 'Under the Edge' because I live near the edge of the Cotswolds (not far from Wotton under Edge). No link with Pratchett intended, although interesting to find someone saw a link!
All very 'Hogfather' ish the image and let cation. Sounds like a very nice place

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
To pause a ride you only need to press the Start/Stop button.. you do not need to save the ride. When you restart you just press the Start/Stop button to continue.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
To pause a ride you only need to press the Start/Stop button.. you do not need to save the ride. When you restart you just press the Start/Stop button to continue.
Many thanks for this, serves me right for not finding and downloading an instruction manual. Will try this on my next ride.

Top Bottom