"Unfair" Fine for using bus lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Origamist, I'm makingmy MA final project at the moment (in film editing) and Chris Marker rightly features in it a fair bit - everytime I get distracted and wonder online I keep seeing your avatar and it reminds me to get back to work!!

I'm glad it's only my avatar and not the content of my posts that steer you away from this esteemed site!

I don't know much about cycling, but film history/archiving, that's a different matter...

Walter Mitty

I find it curious that when I ask forums such as this for advice on cycling along bus lanes which do not permit bikes, the general consensus is "that lane is stupid" and "go for it, nobody will mind", but when the discussion is of car drivers using bus lanes to which they are not entitled, the response is "stupid idiots get what they deserve".

Now I'm not saying that any individual poster is being inconsistent here, because chances are it's not the same people posting on both threads, but it is interesting - to me anyway - that the group consensus can be so different on what are quite similar questions.

That's a very good point. Drivers and pedestrians get upset when we ride on pavements, ignore red lights, use pedestrian crossings, ride the wrong way on one way streets, weave in and out of standing or slow moving traffic, cycle along bus lanes that don't permit bikes etc, etc. When drivers see cyclists lying in the road bruised and bloodied they probably think "stupid idiots get what they deserve". Next week I'm going to cycle to work 'legally' and see what a difference it makes to my journey :biggrin: I wondered if anyone here has actually been fined for ignoring the law whilst cycling - I certainly haven't :thumbsup:

That's a very good point. Drivers and pedestrians get upset when we ride on pavements, ignore red lights, use pedestrian crossings, ride the wrong way on one way streets, weave in and out of standing or slow moving traffic, cycle along bus lanes that don't permit bikes etc, etc. When drivers see cyclists lying in the road bruised and bloodied they probably think "stupid idiots get what they deserve". Next week I'm going to cycle to work 'legally' and see what a difference it makes to my journey :biggrin: I wondered if anyone here has actually been fined for ignoring the law whilst cycling - I certainly haven't :thumbsup:

A few years ago a collegue was pulled over by the police after going through a red light. He was a bit late for work that morning as they had a little chat with him and took thier time making sure all the paperwork had been filled in correctly. I can't recall if he was ever charged, but the time spent listening to thier safety lecture and proving who he said he was, where he was coming from and where he was going was enough to remind him that the lights are there for all.

Jezston

Über Member

I certainly haven't, but then AFAIK I've never ignored the law whilst cycling.

Apart from that whole entering the ASL not from the feeder lane 'glitch', although I'm not sure any other cyclist has been ever given any trouble for that either.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Apart from that whole entering the ASL not from the feeder lane 'glitch'

If you look on Bing* maps at Pleaseley Road, Whiston, Rotherham they've got round it (whether or not its legal road markings is another matter). They've basically broken the white line at the left hand of both lanes

*Googles an older version, when the road was being built

Top Bottom