Unfair interview questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
"We know who's getting it but we have to advertise to satisfy the union/directors/trustees" is pretty common. I cannot complain to much because I have benefited from it myself.

U

User33236

A former colleague was applying for a job in a higher position in the same departmentvthey already worked.

Towards the end of the interview they were asked to give 10 alternative uses for a bowling pin that was sitting on the side. Apparently the correct answer was " 'f' off and stop asking me stupid questions!"

Levo-Lon

Guru
I always hired mates from my local and circle of friends.
They dont seem to cause agro when you drink with them..
and they know they will be paid Friday..as they need to get a round in ;)

i had an interview last year ,first in 30 yr just too see ...bit tic box and no real intrest in the person i thought,and that was at the Coop undertakers..
i was asked how i felt about being with the deceased..i said Fine..as long as they dont sudenly chase me :laugh:

i didnt get the job:rolleyes:

cd365

Guru
Was it a private or public employer? I once turned up for an IT job where they put me in a room and said I needed to do a test first, then left the room. I sat there and thought what if yours is a company I didn't want to work for, a bit of a chat and a few questions first would have been nice. I got up, left the room and told them on the way out that I didn't want to work for a company like them.

[QUOTE 4014018, member: 76"]I went for an interview today, lots of questions, most of which I handled, two didn't go well. One because my experience probably wasn't up to it, which is absolutely fine and to be taken on the chin.

The other was 'the successful candidate will be expected to continue a current workstream with [a specific person] who works in [specific dept], can you tell us when you have had experience of dealing with [specific person]?' I sat there and was obviously confused, the second panel member asked if I would like clarification, which was basically the same question but a bit louder! I pointed out that I was an external candidate and didn't know this particular person, at which point the panel member just put a line through the answer feedback box, and the second panel member just wrote 'None'

I know the current Deputy Head of the department is going for this Head of Department job. I wonder if the 4 external candidates had their time wasted? Anyway, I have cancelled the leaving do and deleted my resignation letter ^_^[/QUOTE]
Welcome to the real world - you'll get the job, because you're the only muppet who doesn't know how truly insufferable the "colleague" is.

Seriously - that's pretty crap interviewing. If a company can't get something simple like an interview right, think what they can do to something serious!

Lullabelle

Banana
Many moons ago I went for an interview and was asked:

1) was I a member of the National Front because there were a lot of Indians (his words not mine) working there and he didn't want any problems
2) was I planning on having children because he didn't want to train me if I was going to leave to have kids

If I hadn't been so desperate for a job I would have just walked out, I got the job but hated every second. The upside is that, long story short, someone working there left a particular company, she gave me the name, I wrote to them, had an interview and I am still with the company 22 years later, moved up from shopfloor to office :okay:

The horrible interview taught me a lot, good or bad they can be a good learning curve.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Because even if their intention is to give it to one of their colleagues, there is an awful lot of stupidity. Writing the question, asking the question.

Also, it may not apply in this case, but I have used interview/tests to rule out places I don't want to work. The place is clearly full of idiots. Surely you can find a better place to work?

(as an undergraduate, I once did a "programmer aptitude test" that was basically pseudo CoBOL. I aced it because I had done a project with an outside company. CoBOL was already a dying language, and I didn't want to work for a company that thought that was a good predictor of skills. To summarise: f*ck 'em!)

Maybe a way of tackling such a question could be to put it back to the interviewer in the form of "I don't fully understand why an external candidate would be asked that question " then wait for the bluff and bluster that follows.

Drago

Legendary Member
Towards the end of the interview they were asked to give 10 alternative uses for a bowling pin that was sitting on the side.

Twatting interviewers round the head, shoving up interviewers arses, smashing interviewers fingers...

Read a piece in the Independent a while back, where 'experts' reckon the interview process has less than a 1 in 4 chance of selecting the most appropriate candidate.

U

User33236

Twatting interviewers round the head, shoving up interviewers arses, smashing interviewers fingers...

Read a piece in the Independent a while back, where 'experts' reckon the interview process has less than a 1 in 4 chance of selecting the most appropriate candidate.
Beleive you me there was not a hoe in hell that I would have given the individual I am talling about a promotion therefore someone more deserving well amd trully lost out.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I once had a second round interview where I was asked to do a presentation on such-and-such a hypothetical situation in the office and how would I tackle it. The level of dysfunction portrayed was ridiculous and sounded contrived

I got the job. I accepted the job.

By mid-morning on day two it was apparent they'd underplayed the reality of it all. Took me over a year of misery, and being assaulted twice, to resolve it all.

Top Bottom