Unfair interview questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I once had a second round interview where I was asked to do a presentation on such-and-such a hypothetical situation in the office and how would I tackle it. The level of dysfunction portrayed was ridiculous and sounded contrived

I got the job. I accepted the job.

By mid-morning on day two it was apparent they'd underplayed the reality of it all. Took me over a year of misery, and being assaulted twice, to resolve it all.

sounds like the landlords job at a pub i know lol..

but that must be a horrible way to work..

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
sounds like the landlords job at a pub i know lol..

but that must be a horrible way to work..
Being bullied, abused, lied about, and, in the end, physically attacked by "colleagues" wasn't fun, no. But someone had to do something to break the pattern of abusive workplace behaviour.

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 4014018, member: 76"]I went for an interview today, lots of questions, most of which I handled, two didn't go well. One because my experience probably wasn't up to it, which is absolutely fine and to be taken on the chin.

The other was 'the successful candidate will be expected to continue a current workstream with [a specific person] who works in [specific dept], can you tell us when you have had experience of dealing with [specific person]?' I sat there and was obviously confused, the second panel member asked if I would like clarification, which was basically the same question but a bit louder! I pointed out that I was an external candidate and didn't know this particular person, at which point the panel member just put a line through the answer feedback box, and the second panel member just wrote 'None'

I know the current Deputy Head of the department is going for this Head of Department job. I wonder if the 4 external candidates had their time wasted? Anyway, I have cancelled the leaving do and deleted my resignation letter ^_^[/QUOTE]

I think you have recourse legally if people are deliberately excluding candidates with nonsense like this.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
During a day of interviews and role play I was stuck in a few 'sticky situations' to see how I would react. One of these was showing how I would deal with someone disruptive who was constantly sailed through that with the usual management BS skills. Later in the day was managing a meeting. Well halfway through the fake meeting in walks the guy who played the distruptive role. I finished the fake meeting and then let the fake team leave, then tore strips into 'late guy' in front of the interview panel.

It turned out this was not a continuation of the earlier task, in fact he had, in reality, just been given some really bad news and that is why he was late. He was stuck with some outsider thinking he was doing the a role play giving him both barrels. I did feel bad for a while.

I got the job offer, but turned it down as traffic was shite.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I've been on a few interviews where it was obvious that the job was earmarked for someone and they had to be seen to go through the motions.
One of the questions for the job I'm in now was - if you could be any kind of biscuit what would it be?
I asked if they it was a serious question, it was. After a few moments I said "A custard cream because I like custard creams"
I asked what the relevance to the question was only to be told that it was just a bit of light hearted fun and that they always throw in a daft question to see people's reactions.

damj

Had really awful interview once, hadn't swotted up enough. Always remember one of the panel waving his hand a circular motion trying to prompt more depth in my answers. This totally threw me and my tongue got suck to the roof of my mouth

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It used to be the custom at interviews for teaching posts for the first question in the interview to be: "If we offered you the job would you accept it?"

To be fair interviews came after a tour of the school and sometimes a chat with staff from the department that the applicants were hoping to join.

The question was asked at the beginning of the interview to save going through the interview process when the candidate had no intention of accepting a post.

They were the good old days where standard teaching posts used to attract thirty or more applicants and there were difficulties whittling them down to a shortlist of six or seven.

My school is now lucky to get three or four applicants per post even when there's significant extra pay for responsibilities.

You should have replied "the last time I worked with him/her we ended up winning a Nobel prize, we're a great team"

Or:

'We use to 'borrow' the company credit card on occasions and snort a few lines of Charlie on it before sneaking out to the wine bar round the corner and do a few bottles of champers, then get some hookers round to the office after work. Yeah, we loved that American Psycho book!'

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'll not forget the HR interview where I walked in, put my handout to shake hands and was ignored.
Tht's outrageous from a HR interviewer..
ive gone to do quotes for jobs and had that..or the weakest wet fish handshake..
it puts me off straight away..but a interview must start with a handshake and a hello..as sd any business meeting .

stephec

Legendary Member
Or:

'We use to 'borrow' the company credit card on occasions and snort a few lines of Charlie on it before sneaking out to the wine bar round the corner and do a few bottles of champers, then get some hookers round to the office after work. Yeah, we loved that American Psycho book!'
Then if you really want the job add on the end, "I'm a reformed character now though and haven't done that for at least ten years, but I hear X is still up to it."

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
A long, long time ago in my late 20's I was being interviewed by MFI (remember them?) for the position of Regional Manager. This was quite a large remit with responsibility for around 8 Area Managers and a large number of stores.

Was very excited and dead keen on the role - but the interview was appalling. The interviewers (Operations Director & HR Director) were arrogant buggers and they were dead keen on telling me what a privilege it would be for me to work for them.

The look on their faces when I pulled the plug on the interview...the one and only time I have ever done this. They weren't for me as their attitude stank and I, very politely, told them my feelings before leaving.

A year later I obtained a much bigger role than the above so a good move methinks.

midlife

Guru
I was in an interview for the job I am currently in..... It's a bit hazy but this is how I remember it.. I had upset some people and I was blocked for promotion.

Interviewer: Since you finished your training, this is the first post you have applied for as a consultant in this setting, it seems that the training you have had has been completely inadequate and you are not a suitable candidate.

Me: you are one of my main trainers.

I got the job.

Shaun

TVC

I once went to an interview set up by an agency where the prospective role was to be a Project Manager "guiding part of the business through a series of changes" sounds fun doesn't it and I boned up on all the stock change management answers. In the interview it was made clear that the job was to move an entire production line from Coventry to Poland and sack over 100 people. This was to happen over twelve months and my final act on succesful completion of the task was to make myself redundant.
During the interview, where I clearly was more experienced and savvy than he MBA manchild interviewing me, I thought perhaps not and just went on to make him look silly as I felt free to do

PK99

Legendary Member
I once had a second round interview where I was asked to do a presentation on such-and-such a hypothetical situation in the office and how would I tackle it. The level of dysfunction portrayed was ridiculous and sounded contrived

I got the job. I accepted the job.

By mid-morning on day two it was apparent they'd underplayed the reality of it all. Took me over a year of misery, and being assaulted twice, to resolve it all.

... and you've been Grumpy ever since?

Top Bottom