Unhinged, at any speed! :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

I've never examined a Dawes kingpin........ It looks like the mainframe hinge clamp 'inspired' Brompton :okay: . Surely it's about the best way, as it doesn't rely on the sheer strength of the bolt to hold the hinge together like many of the cheap folders.

Schwinnsta

I've never examined a Dawes kingpin........ It looks like the mainframe hinge clamp 'inspired' Brompton :okay: . Surely it's about the best way, as it doesn't rely on the sheer strength of the bolt to hold the hinge together like many of the cheap folders.

I don't see your point, since the Brompton hinge relies on a pin in shear. I do think the Dawes/Bromplton clamp is better structurally than the clamp used by most fold in half bikes, though slower to activate.

Fastpedaller

I don't see your point, since the Brompton hinge relies on a pin in shear. I do think the Dawes/Bromplton clamp is better structurally than the clamp used by most fold in half bikes, though slower to activate.

The majority of the clamping on the brompton hinge is done by the alloy hinge clamp which is held in place by the screw - the screw is not under a huge shear stress at all. On cheap folders the screw thread is all that's holding the hinge together and therefore takes all the force.

Schwinnsta

The majority of the clamping on the brompton hinge is done by the alloy hinge clamp which is held in place by the screw - the screw is not under a huge shear stress at all. On cheap folders the screw thread is all that's holding the hinge together and therefore takes all the force.

OK, I was comparing the other side of the hinge where the pin is. It is in shear, and it is a weak point in the system. As for the other side, I agree, the Brompton method is stronger though the bolt on alloy hinge clamp is under tension not shear.

OP
OP
LardAbove

LardAbove

As long as my Kingpin doesn't spontaneously convert into a Unicycle, in motion.... 😱
..... I'll be a Happy bunny 🚴

LardAbove

Fastpedaller

OK, I was comparing the other side of the hinge where the pin is. It is in shear, and it is a weak point in the system. As for the other side, I agree, the Brompton method is stronger though the bolt on alloy hinge clamp is under tension not shear.

Absolutely ...... forgive my memory wobble - tension it is!
The hinge pin itself on the kingpin does look pretty meaty though.
Anyway, looks like Andrew Ritchie saw the basic design was good.

OP
OP
LardAbove

LardAbove

Well.... I'm doing a bit of work on my car and looked for really cheepz 'lube/bolt penetrant'.
Plumped for this.... Which, handily, gets a glowing review amongst bikers 👍

Looks like I came to the right place....

LardAbove 🚴

Attachments

• IMG_20230225_105312.jpg
    IMG_20230225_105312.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
LardAbove

LardAbove

I believe a 'run out' may be happening soon!

Potatocam in hand, to catch the momentous occasion 👍

LardAbove 🚴

Top Bottom