Unicycle Training

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

As above I can't get the seat post clamp sufficiently tight enough, I put my right foot on the pedal to start a downstroke, which also forces the seat into my crotch which then lifts you off the floor the seat twists to the left.

The OS of the seat stem is 24.8mm & having difficulty finding one, I will look at removing the quick release part & replacing with a bolt, just haven't found time yet.

Craig the cyclist

Ãœber Member
I got one from Freecycle a while ago.

I live opposite an old barn with a level concrete floor. I found that starting off with my arms touching something either side worked well. Start with a foot at about 2 o'clock, but most importantly pick a spot on the wall at the other end of the barn and focus on it, then ride towards it.

After about 2 hours I could ride the length of the barn.

After a couple of days I could come to a halt, a day or so later I could turn around and ride back.

It is really good fun, and bizarrely I found it easier than learning to ride rollers!

Ronan1001

I would rig up a rope/cable parallel to the ground and then attach a sliding sling to it that fixes to something like a climbing harness. That way you can practice riding knowing that you are never going to fall to the ground. Wobbling will be a problem. In no time, you'll be like these guys.....

[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMVYixKzQSs[/media]

BTW, maximum respect!

Hell, I'm scared to even look at it. No, no, no, no, I'm not getting on the unicycle!
Who chooses the unicycle, you guys are really brave!

stephec

Legendary Member
As above I can't get the seat post clamp sufficiently tight enough, I put my right foot on the pedal to start a downstroke, which also forces the seat into my crotch which then lifts you off the floor the seat twists to the left.

The OS of the seat stem is 24.8mm & having difficulty finding one, I will look at removing the quick release part & replacing with a bolt, just haven't found time yet.

Gaffer tape, lashings of it.

classic33

Leg End Member
:laugh:

Seriously though, how did it go with riding it? 🤔
Managed the commute into work a few times.

Reminded me why I don't like riding fixed round here.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

:laugh:

Seriously though, how did it go with riding it? 🤔

LOL, it hasn't, it's still sat there, I put a new tube in, blew the tyre up, only for it to pop off the rim, tried it multiple times, so I think it need a new tyre as well, weather got poor, it got hidden behind some stuff, funnily enough I saw it again at the weekend & thought about getting a tyre.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
LOL, it hasn't, it's still sat there, I put a new tube in, blew the tyre up, only for it to pop off the rim, tried it multiple times, so I think it need a new tyre as well, weather got poor, it got hidden behind some stuff, funnily enough I saw it again at the weekend & thought about getting a tyre.

Well good luck with it, I have trouble on two wheels, never mind one, so kudos if you finally learn! :thumbsup:

Twilkes

Guru
I bought one years ago, it generally takes about 20 hours practice to be able to confidently ride it, turn and stop, and cope with inclines etc. It's best to do an hour or two a day and then sleep on it.

Stage 1 - saddle under your crotch, get one foot on a pedal at 6 o'clock, push up to sit on the saddle, fall off again.

Stage 2 - as above but put the other foot on the other pedal, lean forward so you think you're about to fall, push the other pedal round to 6 o'clock to move the wheel forward underneath you to rebalance again, come off involuntarily but safely.

Stage 3 - as above but increasing number of pedal turns until you can just keep going.

If you imagine a broom standing upright on your palm - if the head of the broom tips forwards you would then walk forwards to get the rest of the broom underneath it again, that's basically what unicycling is.

Steering is a combination of leaning and turning with your waist. Stopping is putting one pedal downwards and dismounting before you fall off. I never got the hang of pedalling back and forth on the spot.

I would like to try it again now to see if the adage that 'you never forget how to ride a bike' also applies to one wheel.

FB_IMG_1678566587019.jpg

If Beverley can do it...

Top Bottom