Unidentified raleigh racers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a message from a chap I met through eBay (previously bought a Carlton frame and a Raleigh flyer from him) saying he had a bike I might be interested in. My mate and I had been talking about doing a project together so this seemed like the ideal opportunity. All we knew was that it was a 531 framed unknown make, it had campag derailleurs, and that he was looking for about 50 spuds for it. He sent me some tiny photos by mms which showed Athena mech and an apparent dent in the top tube. It looked to me like a reasonably high end mid to late eighties Raleigh.

So we hot-tailed it over to Tewkesbury yesterday to take a look.

Before we even got there I had another text saying he'd just got another one in, a Raleigh with 105 all over it.

When we got there we were confronted by, not just any old Raleighs, these were the good sh*t! Both of them were a bit tatty to be fair, but my mate's just bought a compressor and spray kit, has chatted up the lad that sprayed his car for a lesson and is itching to use it on something!

My phone updated to Android 6 last night and my last few pics must've not been backed up, so I only have a couple of the one bike, but see if you can guess what it is:
IMAG0316_zpsmkhl3o4k.jpg

IMAG0317_zpshxilzg1d.jpg

IMAG0318_zpsmu1dzjbu.jpg

IMAG0319_zps3syiep0r.jpg

Sorry it's all upside down!

classic33

Leg End Member
The 531 frame. Where's the dent & what size is the frame?

Not the right hand side as though from a handlebar strike, but not matching the current ones!

OP
OP
mikeymustard
No 21.5 I think

classic33

Leg End Member
No 21.5 I think
Too small to be the same one then.

Second thread I posted on C+, March 2005, was for new home for Raleigh frames. Only one was ever taken.

Location was a rough match, and then the dent in the top tube....

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeymustard
More likely to be 77 with those forks on (later ones have 'unicrown' type forks) so that would make them genuine Worksop frames. :becool:
take a look at the type 8806 frame that Shaun posted above. And my 87 record ace is the spit of both this yellow frame and the 8806!
Can't seem to link pics from photobucket using my phone (I'm at work) so I'll have to post those up later

Top Bottom