Uninsured car

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by magnatom, 3 Apr 2008.

1. magnatom

magnatom Guest

I had an incident with a car today. The incident was not the worst, but bad enough. (I will post it later). However, I have some suspicion that the vehicle in question was not taxed and possibly not insured. Is there any way that I can legally find this out? Can I ask the police to investigate this?

The incident was not serious enough to report it directly, but I feel that even if I suspect that the car was not insured then I have a duty to report it.

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Vigilante!

3. I think there's a web site for this, somebody will be along with the link shortly.

4. LLB

LLB Guest

Vexatious or genuinely concerned ? Either way, the MIB cover uninsured losses against these drivers.

Speak to the police if you want to make something of it !

5. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

Do you have it on video?

you know you can get helmet cameras now for as little as........;):biggrin:

6. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

2nded - apparantly in your area they'd like you to contact them in the 1st instance, rather than taking the law into your own hands. ;)

:smile: :wacko:

7. OP
    OP
    magnatom

magnatom Guest

Obviously I have no intention of taking the law into my own hands.

It's just that I have a suspicion (fairly strong I might add). However, what would the police say if I said I had a suspicion and left it at that.

If it turned out to be correct, I have video footage of the car being driven (dangerously) proving that the car was on the road uninsured.

I suppose because I am saying I have a suspicion about this that there would be a problem posting the registration number?

8. domd1979

domd1979 New Member

9. OP
    OP
    magnatom

magnatom Guest

Hmmm. Just had a look. It would apparently be illegal for me to check on that site because I don't own and drive the car. Probably best to contact the police I suppose.

10. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Magnatom, your future ::::::::>> HERE

11. LLB

LLB Guest

Read the disclaimer first before you make the declaration......

12. domd1979

domd1979 New Member

It only says its an offence to wrongfully obtain information without "reasonable cause". You could argue dangerous driving is "reasonable cause" to have a look...

13. LLB

LLB Guest

Or here :biggrin:

keaton-behind-bars-variety.jpg

14. trj977

trj977 Über Member

15. OP
    OP
    magnatom

magnatom Guest

Thanks for that. It would seem that I was wrong and the car is properly taxed. Just as well!

I may post the incident if I have time!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice