Unknown French bike, can you assist ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goldcoastjon

Pug AO8 has those characteristic cable guides and is common enough.
This is not a low-end Peugeot (AO/UO/PA) frame: it has stamped rear dropouts, as do many entry-level ("gas pipe") steel frames, but it does NOT have the typical low-end-Peugeot "Aztec" lugs. The paint job looks like a respray, further hindering the ID process.

IF the headset/steer tube and bottom bracket threads are French, I would look towards French makers of lower-end bikes such as Follis, Bertin, Gitane, Motobecane, Geminiani, Automoto, Hellyett, Jeunet, or others, but I do not know which lugs these makers used well enough to hazard an informed guess.

The brakes are CLB "Racers," not MAFACs. The Stronglight crank may be a later addition and looks like it has the 122mm BCD.

You *might* be surprised to find that the main frame tubes are either straight-gauge or double-butted nicer tubing (Vitus, Reynolds, etc.).

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
Thanks for that info.

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
Finally started in on this bike as have a bit of free time. Noticed a couple of interesting little features on it that I missed the first time.

IMG_20220822_144236510_HDR.jpg

P1020599.JPG

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
Oh and its most certainly French as the fixed cup is so tight I cannot get it out. So it can stay !

Sheldon Brown recommends doing them up very tight and that's what's been done. :rolleyes:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This is not a low-end Peugeot (AO/UO/PA) frame: it has stamped rear dropouts, as do many entry-level ("gas pipe") steel frames, but it does NOT have the typical low-end-Peugeot "Aztec" lugs. The paint job looks like a respray, further hindering the ID process.

IF the headset/steer tube and bottom bracket threads are French, I would look towards French makers of lower-end bikes such as Follis, Bertin, Gitane, Motobecane, Geminiani, Automoto, Hellyett, Jeunet, or others, but I do not know which lugs these makers used well enough to hazard an informed guess.

The brakes are CLB "Racers," not MAFACs. The Stronglight crank may be a later addition and looks like it has the 122mm BCD.

You *might* be surprised to find that the main frame tubes are either straight-gauge or double-butted nicer tubing (Vitus, Reynolds, etc.).

French factory frame, M logo on lugs. Motobecane ?
That's what I love about these threads, the collective brains of CC helping to solve a mystery.

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
Its got tubs on the wheels. Can one still get them and how tricky are they to use ? Comments please.

Seen a few images of Motobecanes now and cannot find the exact one, but its looking very 70's and with lots of little clues that make it feel correct.^_^

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Tubs are still available although mostly quite expensive I believe there are one or two budget ones. Used to be put on with a kind of contact adhesive but I think there may be tape now.
BiTD it was the only thing if you were racing.
You'd better sharpen your sewing skills for punctures and carry a spare.

Last edited:
Its got tubs on the wheels. Can one still get them and how tricky are they to use ? Comments please.

Seen a few images of Motobecanes now and cannot find the exact one, but its looking very 70's and with lots of little clues that make it feel correct.^_^

I had a go at fitting one . Never done one before , getting the old glue off was fun using thinners to wash it off . I used some special sticky tape to refit the tyre . I didn't find that it was difficult, just wasn't sure what I was doing . Not sure if you can still get them .

midlife

Guru
There's a good YouTube clip on tufo tape, a few years old but it has the nifty use if some pencils lol

Top Bottom