Unknown mixte at tip yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
In very good nick generally, but rusty steel 27" rims and horrible 6x3 grip shift system. Might have got it for the frame, but... £50! At the dump!
Crazy. 25 and I'd probably have had it...
Seems rather a lot. I have a local scrap man who brings me bikes and he only wants whatever I offer him for them (usually £20 or less).

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Our dump has banned such 'recycle & sell' activities, so it all disappears into the skips, no matter what
So has mine. Last time I was there I saw a whole shipping container packed full of bikes but when I enquired about 'rescuing' one I was just told 'No'. There is another dump near me that actually has a building where they do sell useable items (including bikes). I'm surprised all councils don't do that. It generates a small amount of income and gives the items a second life.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
So has mine. Last time I was there I saw a whole shipping container packed full of bikes but when I enquired about 'rescuing' one I was just told 'No'. There is another dump near me that actually has a building where they do sell useable items (including bikes). I'm surprised all councils don't do that. It generates a small amount of income and gives the items a second life.
I think the thing is that it's a contracted out service, so I suspect it's the waste company not t'council.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Ecton tip.. Sorry, recycling centre, used to have an area with salvaged stuff for sale. They don't have it now.
The tip is not Council run, so they would still only get the £££ that the company pays them.
I'd have thought it'd be a good little earner for the lads and lasses who work there!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My local recycling centre in Finchley won't allow any selling of bikes, unless you can get to whoever is dumping it as it comes out of their car, they all go in the skip and stay there.

A story a couple of years back about a Tesco store in the UK. They had thrown a load of display bikes into a skip, and someone had asked if they could have them. Answer was no, cos it was an insurance risk - total lunacy.

Drago

Legendary Member
TBH, the best thing Tesco could do is have their bikes delivered straight into a skip.

It does seem daft that perfectly usable or fixable items are destroyed in this manner. You see it on the Money for Nothing programme , it's a shame that they are so determined to destroy things .
Ah well ! It does mean that we can import more ! :whistle:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I believe larger Norfolk tips have charity shops just inside the entrance. I don't think they're allowed to go bin diving but hopefully the location inspires some donations of stuff that would otherwise get melted down.

classic33

Leg End Member
A story a couple of years back about a Tesco store in the UK. They had thrown a load of display bikes into a skip, and someone had asked if they could have them. Answer was no, cos it was an insurance risk - total lunacy.
Police have around 80 ex assist bikes that they can't let go for similar reasons.
They've been replaced and are just taking up space they need.

Top Bottom