Unknown skip find - help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Rear dropouts, Campagnolo 1010, Long Horizontal.
Years: 1960's - 1980's

Lugs, if Colnago would put it as late as 1976.

Anything on the inside of the right rear dropout, steerer tube(inside or ouside) or the front forks?
Or the gap between the rear stays on the bottom bracket?

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
Shore lines are nice, as is the fillet of braze at the end of the stays at the rear dropout, 79th frame of 1980?

Drive side chainstay looks trashed!

You're right about the chain stay, Lee cooper has given me a quote to replace it which is reasonable depending on whether he can get a replacement.

The other stay had a hole which has been filled and polished this morning.

I may be dropping into LC this afternoon depending on work today.

Now the paint is gone I can see the lugs clearer and they are quite ornate without being over the top.

All this for a bike I didn't really want to take on :rolleyes:

You're right about the chain stay, Lee cooper has given me a quote to replace it which is reasonable depending on whether he can get a replacement.

The other stay had a hole which has been filled and polished this morning.

I may be dropping into LC this afternoon depending on work today.

Now the paint is gone I can see the lugs clearer and they are quite ornate without being over the top.

All this for a bike I didn't really want to take on :rolleyes:
They just get into your blood.

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
Rear dropouts, Campagnolo 1010, Long Horizontal.
Years: 1960's - 1980's

Lugs, if Colnago would put it as late as 1976.

Anything on the inside of the right rear dropout, steerer tube(inside or ouside) or the front forks?
Or the gap between the rear stays on the bottom bracket?

Hello Classic

Numbers on the steerer match the numbers on the BB shell.

The forks and rear stays may have been chromed in a previous life.

I can't see any other markings on the frame

Thanks for your pointers, I'll keep looking and researching

Attachments

• IMG_3150.JPG
    IMG_3150.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3151.JPG
    IMG_3151.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3152.JPG
    IMG_3152.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
uphillstruggler
IMG_3153.JPG
Is there anything left of the holey chainstay now you've removed the paint which seemed to be holding it together? (Or did I miss that photo)

Voila, there was a pin prick hole on the other which has been filled and rubbed down this morning

Last edited:
OP
OP
uphillstruggler
oh dear the trouble is it could just about be anybodies

When Holdsworth were producing frame for shops in the 70's they had 4 digit frame numbers so who really knows

Not to worry, it would have been good to find out, but there's no hurry

Lee cooper has given me a reasonable quote for the stay so I may get that done and sit on it for a while. It started out as a bit of fun and curiosity and will stay that way for a while

Thanks for your interest.

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
Hello All

a quick update on this one.

I took the frame to see Lee Cooper who quoted a very reasonable price for replacing the chainstay but said he couldn't get one to match the original.

my next port of call was a mate who welds things, he brazed the holes but I still didn't trust the damaged stay, gave it some grunt and the cracks appeared again so that was pretty much that.

its annoying me a little because of the quality of the lugs and drop outs that it may be that this is destined for the scrap yard, the place I found it in the first instance.

i may go back to Lee Cooper to see if he can replace both stays so at least they match but I am starting to get into expensive territory for an unproven frame.

Hmm

Top Bottom