Unofficial Richmond Park TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shavedlegs

I'm opening a bike shop very soon, well next weekend. In order to promote it and also put a little back as they say, I'm organising a little unofficial Richmond Park TT on the 9th March. 3 laps of the park anti-clockwise.

I hope it can become an official TT series in the future, once I have jumped through all the hoops of CTT and Royal Parks. For now I'd like it to be relaxed and social as well as a little competitve.

I'll be near the Roehampton gate carpark, if you wish to be timed just ask. I'll be bringing along some flapjacks, for that extra energy boost or recovery snack.

yello

I wish you luck in both business and with the TT.

I suspect the proposal for the 'unofficial' TT might draw a variety of responses. For myself, I'm not sure I consider it a wise move. I think you could be getting yourself into some difficulty... unless you have speed limits on your TT and make it explicit that it is to be held within the law.

;)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Unless things have changed radically since I rode competitively what you are promoting is illegal.

The police have to be notified of any time-trial held on public roads and it has to sanctioned by CTT. Yourself and all who ride it could be in serious hot water if anything comes of it, calling it unofficial is no defence.

I certainly would not have broadcast it on a public forum, very unwise to go ahead in my opinion.

toontra

Veteran
There's no way you could have TT's in the park without breaking the bye-laws. Riders would be doing well over the speed limit for over 50% on the time.

Now, as we all know, this happens already! But, if the parks police start to realise that a certain event is being regularly held with the specific intention of trying to break the speed limits then that is a totally different thing, and could spell trouble for all cyclists using the park who occasionally slip over the 20mph limit :smile:

Also, I have to say that the park has a wide range of users - cycle commuters, kids out with parents, horses, and many leisure cyclists just there to enjoy a peaceful ride. I'm really not sure it's the place to be having TT's, as the tactics used by riders chasing a time against others could be seen as intimidatory in some cases.

Good luck with the business, though :biggrin:

Top Bottom