Unpadded bibtights - what is there these days?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
I don't like the ever-growing trend for manufacturers to only offer bibtights with 'chamois' pads fitted.

To me, it makes far more sense to wear padded bibshorts underneath, for two reasons:
  1. One saves on washing the whole bloomin' thing so frequently - if using mudguards or riding in the dry, bibtights over shorts can go multiple rides before needing to be washed. Since they tend to be more expensive than shorts of similar quality (especially with pads), I'd rather wear out through frequent washing the cheaper shorts, of which I and no doubt others have many. And what with the need for bibtights of different insulation/windproofing levels, one can avert the need for lots of each as one does need with shorts.
  2. If it's cold enough for bibtights then it's cold enough to benefit from the extra layer bibshorts underneath provide, especially around the areas demanding protection.
So, whilst I do have several pairs of pad-free bibtights in different weights, I'm conscious there's an ever-decreasing range to choose from, and of course mine won't last forever, and could get torn badly at any time. Consequently, I'm curious to know what makes/models forum members are aware are available for unpadded bibtights in the following categories:
  • standard Roubaix-type weight
  • Roubaix-type weight with either windproof panels or heavier/extra fleece in strategic locations such as knees, crotch etc
  • full-on super-insulating deep-winter weight
Thanks.

Last edited:

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I have Rapha deep winter tights. No pad, roubaix material, water resistant panels on the front above the knees and with ankle straps. Very warm, very comfortable but on the expensive side

http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/deep-winter-tights/product/DWT02

Also come with their crash repair for free guarantee

Kajjal

Guru
I use Castelli velocissimo unpadded tights which work well in the cold over bib shorts. They are tight fitting so you don't look like Nora Batty.

AnthonyC

Regular
As for the standard light-weight, I'd have a look at the Rogelli Basic if you're also looking for great price/quality.

The Sugoi Evo Midzero is great if you're looking for quality thermal bibtights without chamois.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't like the ever-growing trend for manufacturers to only offer bibtights with 'chamois' pads fitted.

To me, it makes far more sense to wear padded bibshorts underneath, for two reasons:
  1. ...
  2. If it's cold enough for bibtights then it's cold enough to benefit from the extra layer bibshorts underneath provide, especially around the areas demanding protection.
'Great minds think alike' - I have just posted the same thing in the 'dinkle' thread!

400bhp

Guru
I'm with you here @Foghat , but I kind of gave up looking for padless ones. I now run (for the commute) a pair of padded DHB tights with a cheap pair of (non bib) cycling shorts underneath.

adscrim

Veteran

1. One saves on washing the whole bloomin' thing so frequently - if using mudguards or riding in the dry, bibtights over shorts can go multiple rides before needing to be washed. Since they tend to be more expensive than shorts of similar quality (especially with pads), I'd rather wear out through frequent washing the cheaper shorts, of which I and no doubt others have many. And what with the need for bibtights of different insulation/windproofing levels, one can avert the need for lots of each as one does need with shorts.
So, whilst I do have several pairs of pad-free bibtights in different weights, I'm conscious there's an ever-decreasing range to choose from, and of course mine won't last forever, and could get torn badly at any time. Consequently, I'm curious to know what makes/models forum members are aware are available for unpadded bibtights in the following categories:
  • standard Roubaix-type weight
  • Roubaix-type weight with either windproof panels or heavier/extra fleece in strategic locations such as knees, crotch etc
  • full-on super-insulating deep-winter weight
Thanks.
I've got some Endura Windchill pad free tights and have found them to be very good. Wind proof membrane on fornt of legs and over crotch area works well.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My last two pairs of unpadded roubaix bib tights have been from Planet X. They have been fine. If you get them on a discount day they are also cracking value.

Top Bottom