Unpadded bibtights - what is there these days?

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by Foghat, 6 Nov 2016.

1. andrew_s

andrew_s Veteran

I use Endura longs, which are mostly available in no-pad versions
    3. You get extra use out of shorts that have started to go transparent

palinurus and Ajax Bay like this.
  2. pclay

pclay Über Member

I recently got some altura etape unpadded tights from Merlin cycles.

https://www.merlincycles.com/altura...-7ltj7a5qCsr47pGXr_maTyPpASmdDKNowBoCIafw_wcB

3. OP
    OP
    Foghat

Foghat Veteran

Absolutely. I'm surprised I missed that obvious one off!

I have several pairs of shorts that have seam or transparency problems that are still 100% functional but only get worn in autumn-winter-spring when there's something to go on top.

4. OP
    OP
    Foghat

Foghat Veteran

Thanks for all the suggestions. Good to know that unpadded bibtights are persisting, albeit in a bit of a minority.

Any more ultra-warm deep winter recommendations?

5. tobykenobi

tobykenobi Well-Known Member

Agree with your reasoning here. I found a pair of Specialized unpadded bib-tights for sale in my LBS last year - I think they are these.

They are in a slightly fleecy Roubaix fabric. They are tight-fitting so work well over a pair of non-bib shorts with a decent pad.

6. OP
    OP
    Foghat

Foghat Veteran

Well I've succeeded in my quest for still-available unpadded bibtights of varying levels of insulation and windproofing, in an ever-shrinking unpadded bibtight market.

My existing regime had/has three levels as follows:
    1. Roubaix-type material with no windproofing (+15 to +10 C)
    2. Roubaix-type material with strategic windproof panels (+10 to +5 C
    3. Thicker Roubaix-type material with extensive windproofing (+5 to -2 C)
    And the results of my research-and-acquisition programme have produced the following 4-strong range that nicely supplements (and will ultimately replace) the existing 3-piece one above:
    1. Roubaix-type material with no windproofing (+15 to +10 C) - various manufacturers still produce these unpadded, and I have plenty existing ones
    2. Bontrager Velocis Halo S1 Softshell Bibtights (+10 to +5 C)
    3. Endura Pro SL Bibtights Without Pad (+6 to 0 C)
    4. Bontrager Velocis S2 Softshell Bibtights (+1 to -6 C). For -7 and below I'll be deploying additional knee-warmers and then a full-length underlayer to stay warm in severely cold weather.
    With the Bontrager models, you need to avoid the InForm versions, which do have pads. And their size M is about equivalent to Endura's and Assos's size L.

Let's hope Bontrager and Endura continue to see the value many cyclists still place on unpadded bibtights, and provide these well into the future.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2018
  7. cyberknight

cyberknight Legendary Member

Im just after a pair of lycra non roubaix unpadded tights as my old pair is getting a bit bobbled.

8. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

9. cyberknight

I have tried running tights and you get a cold back , prefer bibs thanks

10. vickster

Cold but you don’t want thermal?

11. vickster

12. cyberknight

I have 2 pairs of thermal tights , just after something i can wear over shorts when its not to bad and the extra layer over the shorts means i dont need a crotch sock :smile:

13. vickster

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice