Unpadded bibtights - what is there these days?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I use Endura longs, which are mostly available in no-pad versions
To me, it makes far more sense to wear padded bibshorts underneath, for two reasons:
  1. One saves on washing the whole bloomin' thing so frequently - if using mudguards or riding in the dry, bibtights over shorts can go multiple rides before needing to be washed. Since they tend to be more expensive than shorts of similar quality (especially with pads), I'd rather wear out through frequent washing the cheaper shorts, of which I and no doubt others have many. And what with the need for bibtights of different insulation/windproofing levels, one can avert the need for lots of each as one does need with shorts.
  2. If it's cold enough for bibtights then it's cold enough to benefit from the extra layer bibshorts underneath provide, especially around the areas demanding protection.
3. You get extra use out of shorts that have started to go transparent

pclay

Veteran
I recently got some altura etape unpadded tights from Merlin cycles.

https://www.merlincycles.com/altura...-7ltj7a5qCsr47pGXr_maTyPpASmdDKNowBoCIafw_wcB

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
3. You get extra use out of shorts that have started to go transparent

Absolutely. I'm surprised I missed that obvious one off!

I have several pairs of shorts that have seam or transparency problems that are still 100% functional but only get worn in autumn-winter-spring when there's something to go on top.

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Thanks for all the suggestions. Good to know that unpadded bibtights are persisting, albeit in a bit of a minority.

Any more ultra-warm deep winter recommendations?

tobykenobi

Über Member
Agree with your reasoning here. I found a pair of Specialized unpadded bib-tights for sale in my LBS last year - I think they are these.

They are in a slightly fleecy Roubaix fabric. They are tight-fitting so work well over a pair of non-bib shorts with a decent pad.

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Well I've succeeded in my quest for still-available unpadded bibtights of varying levels of insulation and windproofing, in an ever-shrinking unpadded bibtight market.

My existing regime had/has three levels as follows:
  1. Roubaix-type material with no windproofing (+15 to +10 C)
  2. Roubaix-type material with strategic windproof panels (+10 to +5 C
  3. Thicker Roubaix-type material with extensive windproofing (+5 to -2 C)
And the results of my research-and-acquisition programme have produced the following 4-strong range that nicely supplements (and will ultimately replace) the existing 3-piece one above:
  1. Roubaix-type material with no windproofing (+15 to +10 C) - various manufacturers still produce these unpadded, and I have plenty existing ones
  2. Bontrager Velocis Halo S1 Softshell Bibtights (+10 to +5 C)
  3. Endura Pro SL Bibtights Without Pad (+6 to 0 C)
  4. Bontrager Velocis S2 Softshell Bibtights (+1 to -6 C). For -7 and below I'll be deploying additional knee-warmers and then a full-length underlayer to stay warm in severely cold weather.
With the Bontrager models, you need to avoid the InForm versions, which do have pads. And their size M is about equivalent to Endura's and Assos's size L.

Let's hope Bontrager and Endura continue to see the value many cyclists still place on unpadded bibtights, and provide these well into the future.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Running tights if don’t need bibs?

These are cheap too although maybe warmer than you need?

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Bikeze-Multi-Sport-Cycling-Tight-p/pol01-1008-p.htm
I have tried running tights and you get a cold back , prefer bibs thanks

Top Bottom