Unsure - Drop bars or Hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

I have butterfly bars on the hybrid...
Hahaha

I was asked to define "hybrid" **spit** a few days ago, and the only way I could think was "flat bars, two wheels, one at each end". It looks like some don't even think flat bars are a requirement.

Damn but that word means nothing and serves absolutely no purpose.

Wardy

Hahaha

I was asked to define "hybrid" **spit** a few days ago, and the only way I could think was "flat bars, two wheels, one at each end".

But hold on, being able to "think" presupposes there's some grey matter in use....

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Hahaha

I was asked to define "hybrid" **spit** a few days ago, and the only way I could think was "flat bars, two wheels, one at each end". It looks like some don't even think flat bars are a requirement.

Damn but that word means nothing and serves absolutely no purpose.

maybe and maybe not, when I first got interested in bikes again I found so much confusing but at least I understood the term hybrid. It's all the additional info that causes the confusion, from bike specific terminology to the wide variety of opinion on what's good for what, and I count bike shops as adding to this confusion as well.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
maybe and maybe not, when I first got interested in bikes again I found so much confusing but at least I understood the term hybrid. It's all the additional info that causes the confusion, from bike specific terminology to the wide variety of opinion on what's good for what, and I count bike shops as adding to this confusion as well.
I'd have to agree with that – the term hybrid seems to be used to encompass everything between a mountain bike and a road bike. When I started looking for a more road-oriented bike a few months ago, I was more and more bamboozled every time I went into a cycle shop. Options are good, yes, but I too experienced a wide variety of opinion (often completely opposing opinions too) on what bike was good for what, and what bike was right for me.

I just knew that I wanted something less geared (literally) for climbing mountains, and more appropriate for where I cycled – cycle paths and roads. I couldn't afford a Specialized Tricross (which was recommended on numerous occasions), didn't like the cheap feel of the front-sus 'hybrid' I tried (Scott) compared to my old Trek 6500 MTB, and I couldn't bring myself to buy an out-and-out road bike with drop bars. I had been experiencing heat and a little discomfort in my left shoulder blade riding my old Trek on the roads (possibly a little long in the reach?), and this was discouraging me from going for drops in case it got worse.

Having eventually bought what I thought was the best "commuting during the week and cycle paths with the kids at the weekend" solution, I still have no idea what kind of bike my Ridgeback Flight is. It's been suggested that it's a "flat bar road bike", and knowing what I know about bike componentry (not a lot) with its Sora derailleur, 12-25 cassette and 52-42-30 triple chain set who am I to argue? It may be less of a mouthful to just call it a hybrid, but I've decided to call it George
biggrin.gif

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I'm forty-two with three years on a flat-bar hybrid under my belt; the theft of the hybrid meant I needed a replacement quickly (it's my only form of transport) and I got a 80's/90's racer off E-bay.

Whereas I struggled with lower back and wrist ache on the hybrid, the "steeler" is astonishingly comfortable: a combination of drops and a steel frame I'd guess.

I'd still ride a flat-bar in town/over short distances, but wouldn't want to ride further without drops (my commute is 10 miles).

For the Winter I'll be using fatter tyres but, as has already been noted, treaded tyres won't make a significant difference: the tread dispels water, which is unnecessary on bike tyres because they are relatively thin. Slicks have a greater surface area in contact with the road compared to treads of the same size, therefore more grip.

For good value cycling kit, I recommend Wiggle's own-brand DHB kit.

OP
OP
D

Daveb99

Thanks for everyone's help. I now have the bike - a Specialized Secteur Sport (I figured drop bars, but the Roubaix style geometry would be the best combo for my needs). Went for the 56cm in the end, feels fine so far after a couple of minor tweaks. Just going through the process of buying all the gear I need now!

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Thanks for everyone's help. I now have the bike - a Specialized Secteur Sport (I figured drop bars, but the Roubaix style geometry would be the best combo for my needs). Went for the 56cm in the end, feels fine so far after a couple of minor tweaks. Just going through the process of buying all the gear I need now!

Awesome :thumbsup:

Top Bottom