Unsure what to make of this one...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Away from the traffic lights and over the brow of a short hill towards the next set.

Two lanes of traffic approach them and I'm in the left hand lane of these... when suddenly this driver decides that waiting in the queue is not for him (somone turning right ahead of him) and dives from the right hand lane to the left.... just about when I'm filtering past him.

No indication, just point and go!

Following this he then overtakes me... and gives me loads of room.

All very bizarre.

Latter action seems "cycle aware"... former action does not. It's a funny old world out there! :rofl:

NigC

A lot of drivers seem to forget they have a nearside mirror :rofl:

D-Rider

Looks like he didn't see you filtering. As you know, it's always a bit dodgy filtering when the traffic is moving or just starting to move again after a standstill - got to watch out for lane changers. They're only paying attention to the other lane and liable to move suddenly if anything resembling a gap appears.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The risk goes up considerably when you filter through moving traffic, IMO. I reckon he just made a mistake the first time, fair play to the good overtake afterwards.

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
D-Rider said:
Looks like he didn't see you filtering. As you know, it's always a bit dodgy filtering when the traffic is moving or just starting to move again after a standstill - got to watch out for lane changers. They're only paying attention to the other lane and liable to move suddenly if anything resembling a gap appears.
Yup. It's usually fine as there's traffic in both lanes so no lane changes are really possible... but just so happened that someone was actually turning right while the left hand lane had cleared a bit. I was more concerned about cars to my left trying to jump across to bear right when they saw a gap! :rofl:

coshgirl

Had similar but worse this morning....

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Away from the traffic lights and over the brow of a short hill towards the next set.

I was cycling through Wandsworth on my way to work today and a private hire vehicle overtakes me and turns immediately left with no indication, no warning, nothing:angry:

I am forced to turn with him to avoid being wiped out, and the driver seems to have no idea what he has done. Then, to make matters worse, a white van emerges from the same road straight into my path and starts shouting abuse as I am in his way.

I react with a few choice words of my own, and then hide behind the van as he roars up to the next set of lights. Once they change, he turns left at the lights without indicating either. Luckily I had worked that one out

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mrs calls where we live the land of the lost indicator :evil:

I am lucky enough to live where my cycle route takes me nowhere near traffic lights, filtering or pretty much any fun tings like that, i just have to be aware that 95 % of cyclists that road users are in contact with are pavement ninjas or gutter riders.
They cannot compute a cycle doing a reasonable speed as a real vehicle that they have to be aware of.

Top Bottom