Unusual accident.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sddg7tfl

I had my first clipless accident the other day ... sort of.
Rolling to a stop, right foot unclipped fine, left foot unclipped fine, left foot onto floor
then started raising right leg over rear wheel to get off.

Next thing i'm sitting on my front wheel thinking w.t.f!!
Basically my floppy overtrousers had somehow become attached to the seat, and as i've got off the bike (with bars set very low and seat high to get a nice 25 degree leg angle) that slight "snag" caused me to loose balance.
No damage apart from a scrape on the deraillier and right gear selector bashed out of alignment.

At least i now know this 16 stone lump can fall onto a 24 spoke front wheel without bending anything!

Has anyone else been involved with accidents caused by clothing??

adamhearn

Veteran
Not me, but check your hanger for straightness - I too put a small scratch on mine when I had a stationary clipless moment and I thought I got away with 'no' damage. However gear changes weren't as they should be until I bent it out a tad.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
First time I ever wore overshoes I managed to get part of the right one caught on the crank. So, after using it for all of 3 feet, I ended up having to reverse back 2 feet to unwind it off the crank and free my shoes, I calculate that it lasted one foot. Which is exactly what it was on in the first place. Journey home with one particularly cold foot!

lulubel

Über Member
Not an accident, but some stationary near misses when I was losing weight, and my tights were getting a bit baggy. In the end I had to give up and buy some "interim" ones because I kept catching them on the nose of the saddle as I tried to set off. Never quite landed in a heap with the bike, but it was close.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One, where I'd pulled to a stop at lights, tried to unclip the left foot, but something was holding the left foot in. Down I went. I'd actually run over a loop of wire, this had then flicked up, over the top of my shoe, and the rear wheel had then pinned the loop down, and my foot.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Basically my floppy overtrousers had somehow become attached to the seat, and as i've got off the bike (with bars set very low and seat high to get a nice 25 degree leg angle) that slight "snag" caused me to loose balance.
I have done similar on my hack bike.

I was in traffic and doing a right turn to dismount at the kerb on the other side. The saddle was a little too high and as I tried to slide off it to put a foot down in the middle of the road, to wait for a gap, my trousers caught and I ended up 'dancing about' on tippy toes with a bike attached to my crotch trying not to fall over.
I think it gave the waiting car drivers a giggle.:blush:

Had a similar sort of thing happening when wearing Rainlegs "chaps" which just cover the front of the thighs and knees, but are open at the back. The elasticated straps are strangely attracted to the saddle when I try to dismount which in turn stops me getting the leg I'm trying to dismount to connect with the ground.
It can be embarrassing hopping around on one leg, struggling with a bike, whilst clad in dubious-looking fetish gear !:blush:

Matt1705

Über Member
I did my Christmas shopping on my bike, filled both panniers to bursting with stuff.

Stopped at the local chip shop on way home, and couldn't get my leg over the bike while holding the carrier bag of food because my panniers were too full.

Felt like a proper fool while everyone in the shop watched me through the window :blush:

OP
OP
sddg7tfl

sddg7tfl

Not me, but check your hanger for straightness - I too put a small scratch on mine when I had a stationary clipless moment and I thought I got away with 'no' damage. However gear changes weren't as they should be until I bent it out a tad.

Good tip ... had a look and it seems to be straight.
Most of the impact load was on the front, where i ended up sitting on the spokes of the front wheel after
gravity had finished with me. :blush:

Sandra6

Veteran
I fell off once when I went to put my foot down (no clips involved) and the floor wasn't quite where I remembered it being. then my shoe fell off.
If I forget my trouser clips or come un-tucked from my socks, my work trousers quite often wrap themselves over the bottle cage. Hasnt' caused me to fall yet, but I've come close.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I went to get on postman style (scooting along then swinging leg over whilst moving (tres cool)) but had not hoiked up my loose, too large for me trousers and the crotch snagged on the saddle preventing me from completing this very cool manouever. Looked a bit of a tit.

Drago

Legendary Member
I had a similar incident once. I went to pull away and as I raised my butt towards the seat the groin of my baggies caught on the nose of the seat. I was stuck - I couldnt get seated, couldn't apply power, and while I was struggling to sort it fell to the ground in a sorry heap.

Now I make sure my baggies are pulled up high around my waist old man style.

Top Bottom