Unusual ways to die

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I once read about a chap who died of heart failure because he laughed so hard at the Goodies Ecky Thump episode. Being killed by prime time light entertianment always struck me as an odd way to go,

Buck

Guru
Anybody in the Darwin Awards would fit in here nicely!

A rather gruesome one was at work in the 80s. A lift engineer was servicing/clearing out the lift base and had failed to isolate the lift and also failed to insert the lift props (heavy steel square rods) that the lift would rest on to prevent it lowering all of the way. As you can imagine, he is no longer with us.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I once read about a chap who died of heart failure because he laughed so hard at the Goodies Ecky Thump episode. Being killed by prime time light entertianment always struck me as an odd way to go,
During the interval of a comedy show at Perth Theatre, an older lady approached the Front of House Manager and asked if someone could see to her husband. Upon investigation, he was found in his seat and they had to tell her he had sadly died.

"Oh I know"

Apparently he'd had a heart attack during some slapstick scene in the first act.

"So why didn't you come and tell anyone?" asked Martin.

"Well, I didn't want to spoil the show for everyone else"

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Another horrid lost phone tragedy, one that I have mentioned before on the forum... The son of a friend of my brother-in-law was drunk and seemed to have dropped his phone down a drain. He was found trapped upside down in the drain, drowned. I think his phone was found in the water beneath him.

Another one that I have also mentioned before was the death of an uncle of a schoolfriend. My friend and his mum were being driven to the shops by her brother when he died without warning at the wheel. She turned the engine off and stopped the car with the handbrake, without the car hitting anything.

Not quite an unusual way to die, but in unusual circumstances....

My wife's uncle had been a seaman on the cross channel ferries. When he retired, he had some kind of "pass" that got him a number of free crossings every year.
He would use them to go on some crossings to spend time with his former colleagues. They would have a beer and chat about old times.
One day, whilst on a ferry en route to France, he dropped down dead, in the crew rest room. It would have been a beauraucratic nightmare to sort this out with the French authorities, so he was quietly left alone until the ship was back in UK waters on the return trip, whereupon the matter was reported to the Captain, and UK legal processes took over.

If you've got to go, checking out amongst your mates with a beer in your hand seems as good a way as any!

Slick

Guru
I was around for a couple of bad ones at work when guys lifted a steel plate covering a hole and one gut walked forward and fell around 80 feet to his death. Another changed a number of H&S laws offshore as guys would be attached to a wire around 200 feet above them on the drill floor and they would work on a vessel like acrobats, using a radio to contact the drill floor getting them to raise or lower them to get the job done on the BOP's. Not exactly sure what happened exactly but the drill floor winched one guy up very very slowly then decided to go for tea or some such as the guy had a long time to realise his date and I can only assume was dragged through the mouse hole screaming for help. Most unpleasant job I think I have ever done was erecting a scaffold to try and recover his body. Not pretty

classic33

Leg End Member
Jockey Frank Hayes won a race at Belmont Park in New York, in 1923, despite being dead — he suffered a heart attack mid-race, but his body stayed in the saddle until his horse crossed the line for a 20–1 outsider victory.

Top Bottom