Unusual ways to die

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How about the 8 people killed in Britain's worst avalanche. Mountaineering up Zero Gully on Ben Nevis you might guess, but no, the unfortunate victims were indoors at home in their cottages in Lewes in Sussex

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewes_avalanche

There's now a pub on the site, named, in rather poor taste, The Snowdrop Inn
Used to take folk to that fine pub on rides i used to lead. Had the idea it had been closed for quite a few years though.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have spent time working with marine engines. Everything up to the very largest 2-stroke diesels that move container ships and tankers. Inspection of these engines involves going into the ‘scavenge space’, which is essentially the intake manifold of the engine - from here you can inspect the pistons without having to remove them (a big job for a piston weighing hundreds of kilograms). You may have seen Richard Hammond doing exactly this.

Talking to a colleague about the safety implications of this inspection I mused the awful possibility of being shut into the engine. He said that this has apparently happened. 😬

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
This may not be true, but one Darwin award contender I heard about was working on a high rise when he was caught short & needed the loo for a number 2. So instead of going up or down to the portaloos on other floors, he decided to 'drop the log' down the liftshaft.......Gravity is a harsh mistress.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
What about Tommy Cooper having a heart attack on stage? People thought it was part of his act and laughed. He seemed to be smiling back.
Didn't Leonard Rossiter also die on stage?. although it might have been in his dressing room in the interval. I remember seeing Tommy Cooper die on live TV, most of us probably do.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This may not be true, but one Darwin award contender I heard about was working on a high rise when he was caught short & needed the loo for a number 2. So instead of going up or down to the portaloos on other floors, he decided to 'drop the log' down the liftshaft.......Gravity is a harsh mistress.
A 'number 1' very nearly did for me on a C+ forum ride in the Yorkshire Dales... :eek:

Someone will need to put a strong note in the race guide for stage 1 about the dangers of stopping for a 'natural break' on Buttertubs Pass. I walked away from the road to take a pee on a C+ forum ride and almost ended up slipping down one of the 'Buttertubs' ...:eek:

1622023366656.png

(Photo on Geograph copyright Steve Daniels.)
Sloping slabs of wet limestone and cycling shoes are not a good mix... :whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
David Grundman in 1982 fired several close range shots with his shotgun at a Saguaro Cactus. The cacti, which stood 26 feet tall. dropped a four foot branch on top of Grundham's head - - Ultimately crushing him to death..

Grundman's death is immortalized in the song Sagura written by the Texas band, the Austin Lounge Lizards.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
In February 1997. Santiago Al varado was burgling a bicycle shop in Lompoc, California. To keep his hands free while on the store roof Santiago had placed a flashlight in his mouth. Unfortunately, death found him when he fell face first onto the floor and the flashlight crushed through his skull..

ColinJ

In February 1997. Santiago Al varado was burgling a bicycle shop in Lompoc, California. To keep his hands free while on the store roof Santiago had placed a flashlight in his mouth. Unfortunately, death found him when he fell face first onto the floor and the flashlight crushed through his skull..
I bet a few pipe-smoking drivers have been killed in car crashes due to similar injuries!

ColinJ

He wasn't killed, nor hurt even, but a mate's Dad turned his Reliant Robin over reaching over to pick up his pipe baccy which he'd dropped. I half-recall this happened twice !
Strangely enough, having not seen a Reliant Robin for years, I spotted one yesterday when I was out on my bike. I'm amazed that (a) any are still running, and (b) that anybody would want to drive one!

A friend of mine had a Bond Bug, which was a more sporty version of the concept.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Top Bottom