up 6mph by switching to road bike??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
the training group of the local racing team are only averaging 18 mph, thats over 70 - 80 miles and they are all well under the hour riders.

Bruce

Possibly we are just seeing a natural propensity for a slight exaggeration of Average speeds here, pinch of salt and all that.
At least he is going quicker on his Roadie than he was on his MTB, and he is happy about it.
Pity about the wasted british cycling talent in here turning great average speeds over decent distances though :smile:

The average speed on the Tour is reckoned to be around 22 ish mph !

dodgy

No exaggeration from me Bruce. I'm not a fast rider, but did average 20.2mph (evidence from my Edge 705 if you want it) on a ride last summer, in traffic, too.
I'm just saying that on any given ride, you can put in a particularly good effort based on many factors.
My rolling average over the year is a long way from 20.2mph though, more like 17.

bad boy

Über Member
That sounds very quick indeed unless you ride downhill all the time !?. Are you sure the comp is set properly for the right wheel size etc ?.

I have just got a secteur and to be honest have hardly noticed an increase at all, mind you the Open Pro's I have on my flat bar commuter are better than the cxp22's currently on the secteur so not sure if that makes a difference but I was actually disapointed when I first rode it last week thinking I would be alot faster.

Bruce

dodgy said:
No exaggeration from me Bruce. I'm not a fast rider, but did average 20.2mph (evidence from my Edge 705 if you want it) on a ride last summer, in traffic, too.
I'm just saying that on any given ride, you can put in a particularly good effort based on many factors.
My rolling average over the year is a long way from 20.2mph though, more like 17.
Pretty similar to myself Dodgy, I can go out and do the occasianl exceptional ride, best is 21 mph ave over 18 miles, however my rolling average for last year was 16.8 and strangly its exactly the same this year to date, I use a 605 so I know thay are accurate.

Just begs the question if the OP has his comp set up correctly on that Sectuer?

dudi

I usually ride at about 16-18mph average, when there's traffic lights etc... However, if I have a nice long(ish) ride in the country of say 30 miles, I would expect my average speed to be over 20mph about 75% of the time. Over 10 miles in the country it's always over 20mph... and I don't consider myself to be all that fast...

Mind you, it's not hilly round here, so no steep climbs (no steep descents, either of course).

And of course on my fixed gear commuter, with panniers, the average drops down to about 15-17mph regardless of where I ride.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
so many people seem to be able to avg 20mph, i must be so slow, im doing well if i can avge 16 i know i lose a lot on hills but on flat i rattle along at 28 to 24 mph but the avg is normaly 15/16 mph over say 30/40 miles

Davidc

Guru
My VDO computer gives an average speed based on the time the bike's actually moving, which gives quite a lift over the real average speed for a journey. My Garmin Foretrex gives both.

I'm never quite sure which average speed should be quoted.

The moving average speed I can manage these days is only about 12mph, so it's not that critical!

potsy

Rambler
photography27 said:
hi, i had a mtb which was a heavy bike, bought from jjb for £120, nothing special about it, my average speed was around 14mph, now i have a specialized secteur race bike and my average speed is around the 20mph mark, i aint doing any more effort and my computer is set up properly, the question i am asking is...is it normal for a jump in average speed of 6mph, not complaining lol, i just cant believe the difference :biggrin:
I'm taking my Secteur back to the shop,Mine only averages 14-15mph there's obviously sommat wrong with it:biggrin::biggrin:
Glad your still enjoying it,I love mine too feels so much nicer to ride than the hybrid,but am only using it when it's fairly dry outside or when I aint got too much carp to carry to work.

Norm

Yesterday was the first time on the Secteur in a few months. Mind you, yesterday was also my first ride over about 5 miles in at least six weeks. Boy, I love the bike, boy do I hate getting ill and not being able to ride.

Mine also only does 14-15mph, maybe it's something to do with the old and wheezy motor it has fitted. :biggrin:

GrasB

Veteran
Bruce said:
Possibly we are just seeing a natural propensity for a slight exaggeration of Average speeds here, pinch of salt and all that.
At least he is going quicker on his Roadie than he was on his MTB, and he is happy about it.
Pity about the wasted british cycling talent in here turning great average speeds over decent distances though :biggrin:

The average speed on the Tour is reckoned to be around 22 ish mph !
Interestingly when I typed in todays rides I found in the outbound direction I was outputting around 175 watts to get the average, I produced 20-25w more home bound, in fact most commutes since the thaw (Jan 11th) are in the 170-200 watt range. From what I can find most pro riders are cruising around 250-270w (I'm definitely doing more more cruising on my commutes) & peaking around 400+ during climbs. So sure they may 'only' be averaging 22mph but that doesn't take into consideration how tough the stage is. With this I bring in a second point when someone saying I was talking BS about a 10 mile section of a ride where I was well above 30mph for most of it down hill with a nice strong tail wind. I just punched in the numbers for the conditions that day & got 110w sustained output.

OP
OP
photography27

photography27

to stop the confusion here let me say that i took the same route i did with my MTB which is only a mile or so and its all flat, its like a sprint, so thats why i said i was up on my avg speed, and my cycle computer is set up right!!

potsy

Rambler
photography27 said:
to stop the confusion here let me say that i took the same route i did with my MTB which is only a mile or so and its all flat, its like a sprint, so thats why i said i was up on my avg speed, and my cycle computer is set up right!!
Now it makes sense 1 mile drag race.What's your average over any real mileage 10mile+?

OP
OP
photography27

photography27

hi mate, over a 6 mile commute to work, my average is 12/13 mph, but bear in mind i have got some great hills!!, i havent done a commute on the secteur yet, so i cant tell the difference on the commute.
it took me 30 mins exactley to do 6.3miles to work on my BSO, so i am hoping it will go down to 20 mins to do the same distance

Top Bottom