Up north..100 mile ride to the coast and back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sunday the 17th April. The more I read about it the less I fancy doing it :ohmy: it's like doing the Trawden route twice :ohmy::ohmy:
Yes, in terms of difficulty, that's about it - it is like doing the Trawden loop twice! even though I enjoyed riding my Cannondale on Sunday, I'm going to have to revert to the Basso for its grovelling gears!

The SITD route goes out to Laneshaw Bridge the way we did, except that it goes over the western side of Penistone Hill rather than the eastern side where you got your puncture.

draughton_height.jpg

17_percent_sign.jpg

:whistle:

But there again ...

grassington_wide.jpg

dales_lane_wide.jpg

;)

Okay chaps shall we now adjourn to the SITD 2011 thread?

potsy

Rambler
When we did the Trawden ride on the 6th of Feb I was exactly 14lbs (1 stone) heavier than I am now, no wonder I found it so tough. Nearly 3 more weeks to get even fitter then :biggrin:

ColinJ

-------- ADVANCE NOTICE ---------

***** "Totally Wyred" - coming to you on Sunday 25th March - write it in those cycling diaries, folks! *****

I have plans for a rerun of last year's popular 100 miler from Whalley, but this time avoiding busy the busy towns of Lytham, Blackpool, Cleveleys & Fleetwood and spending those miles on the quiet lanes of the Fylde and Wyre districts instead. We'll still call in at Bonds of Elswick for ices, and the cafe at Knott End for all-day veggie breakfasts or humungous portions of fish and chips, but we'll use a toll bridge this time rather than a toll ferry!

I'll start a new thread at the beginning of March, but I wanted to make sure that you don't miss this ride.

NB Apart from a few lumps around Longridge Fell, this is very fixed-friendly. The high point is at the 12 mile point after which there is about 8 miles gently downhill, followed by an almost flat metric century (62 miles). Even I can cope with this degree of hilliness! :thumbsup:

Alun

Guru
I'm tempted, that's the day the clocks go on 1 hour, so there will be more daylight. I liked the ferry though, especially when Rapha Condor slid down the ramp on his cleats.

potsy

Rambler
Come on al, you know it makes sense.
Quite disappointed not to be doing the ferry again too, but won't miss that windy drag from blackpool.

Ajay

Veteran
Windy Drag from Blackpool - you been to Funny Girls again?:laugh:

ColinJ

I'm tempted, that's the day the clocks go on 1 hour, so there will be more daylight. I liked the ferry though, especially when Rapha Condor slid down the ramp on his cleats.
Come on al, you know it makes sense.
Quite disappointed not to be doing the ferry again too, but won't miss that windy drag from blackpool.
Yeah - go for it Alun. It is still 7 weeks away so you have plenty of time to get your legs working again!

I quite liked the ferry too, but I didn't really like some of the busier parts of the coastal ride. I suppose it would have been better if they hadn't been digging up half of Blackpool at the time ...

I think we were quite lucky to all get on the ferry - I didn't realise how small it was when planning the original ride. I could see a good CycleChat turnout (plus a few extra tourists and locals) exceeding the capacity of the ferry, which would be a major headache. Or, if bad weather caused the ferry to be cancelled, we could end up having to ride miles down the side of the Wyre to get to the first bridge.

I think the new route will be much nicer to ride. I'll put up a map later.

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy

I'm more than happy to fall over at given intervals for the entertainment of the bunch, but without a burly seaman to catch me I might do myself a serious injury.

You can certainly count me in barring anything completely unforseen.

And for the record I do wear Rapha but don't ride a condor.

ColinJ

Okay, people - I am thinking of putting the 2012 century ride back a week because it clashes with the Cheshire Cat. If I did change the date, would April 1st be a problem for any of you who would have been okay on the 25th? It's tricky trying to plan these things to suit the maximum number of people. Currently, the 25th is also looking iffy for me because I don't have a lift and don't fancy riding over 140 miles on the day!

In the mean time, to whet your appetites - here is my --> proposed route <-- on Bikely. If you can see any problems with it, speak up! (It is a fairly long way to the first stop, but it should be a pretty quick run out once we get the lumpy bit by Longridge Fell behind us.)

ColinJ

Ah - I'd forgotten that - yes, it was going to be my March 100+ km ride!

Maybe we could do another 100 km ride in mid-March - the 17th? :whistle: (A Saturday because I said I'd try and alternate Sat/Sun this year)

Anyway - I've been a bit silly, starting to discuss the new century ride here and in the last forum ride thread so I have now started -> this new thread <- for any further discussions about the new century ride.

See you over there!

Top Bottom