Up north..100 mile ride to the coast and back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
jealous i couldn't come along. i'm still vomiting but not as much. as soon as i'm better i'll be doing the route, maybe this weekend. how far did you do in the end skud?

Sorry you did'nt make Shaun,it was a good one.Including missing out the last bit back to Whalley i worked out i had done 148 miles which is my all time best,it would have been stupid to push anymore to the finnish because i was beat my the time i got home.
Get well soon buddy

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Sorry you did'nt make Shaun,it was a good one.Including missing out the last bit back to Whalley i worked out i had done 148 miles which is my all time best,it would have been stupid to push anymore to the finnish because i was beat my the time i got home.
Get well soon buddy

very impressive! on fixed as well.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Here's a few snaps i took from Sunday,not as many as Potsy i'm afraid !

DSCN5949.jpg

DSCN5950.jpg

DSCN5952.jpg

DSCN5953.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, get well soon Shaun! I thought about you a couple of times on the ride and how much you would have enjoyed the ride. It's a real shame that you couldn't make it.

With the great turnout, the great weather and some nice flat roads, it certainly ranks as one of my favourite forum rides of the last 3 years and there have been some very good ones so that is saying a lot. It wouldn't have been quite the same if there had been a howling wind and freezing rain though!

For anybody who fancies using that ferry, here are a few points to bear in mind ...

The ferry is currently still on the winter service. It runs from Fleetwood on the hour and presumably does the return trip on the half-hour. If you miss it at this time of year, you'll have a long wait.

The summer service runs from Fleetwood on the hour and half hour.

The ferry wouldn't run in stormy conditions, and it is likely that it couldn't operate when there is a very low tide either.

Be *very* cautious getting on to the ferry at Fleetwood! You will either be boarding down some concrete steps, or down a steep metal ramp!

The cost is £1.50 per person plus 50p per bike. I'm not sure if they would let you take a tandem or a recumbent trike on board.

There is a limit of 35 passengers per trip. There were 10 of us and about 15 or so other passengers. I would guess that the ferry is used extensively in the summer so you might have to queue for several trips before you could get on it.

Sometimes a bus replacement service is run instead of the ferry and I doubt it would take bikes.

I suggest that you contact the ferry company to check that the ferry is running when you want to use it. Perhaps it is possible to book a place? I don't know. Details on the Ferry page on the Wyre Marine website.

Ajay

Veteran
So the prizes go to the 2 fixies, congrats to skud and p-Paul for posting your longest ever rides!!
My route worked out to perfection, clocking 101miles, happy days!

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
Be *very* cautious getting on to the ferry at Fleetwood! You will either be boarding down some concrete steps, or down a steep metal ramp!

I possibly might have used that advice before getting on. There is a very burly sailor type willing to catch all those who choose to take the emergency slide method of entering the ferry though.

I would highly recommend the cafe on the Knott End side too, first time I'd been there but will definitely visit again.

ColinJ

I possibly might have used that advice before getting on. There is a very burly sailor type willing to catch all those who choose to take the emergency slide method of entering the ferry though.
I thought you two hit it off straight away. You'd only just been introduced and seconds later you fell into his manly arms - "Well, hello sailor!" ;)

Ajay

Veteran
I assumed you'd met before, he did hold you for a few seconds longer than was necessary!!

potsy

Rambler
Another great forum ride!
You know what - I'm not sure I can cope with potsy beating me up all the hills and seeming fresh as a daisy afterwards!

Oh that was just what I needed seeing you slide down there knowing I had to get down there too :ohmy:

Cracking write up of the day Colin, looks like I've become the official photographer now :thumbsup:
The bit of weight loss and plenty of commuting miles has definitely made a difference to my fitness, think I'll be taking Shaun on next ride :biggrin:
I think that was my favourite ride yet, the weather, the route, the food, and not least the company made it a very enjoyable day, only downside was the awful mess my gears were in, have since put a new cable on which has helped slightly, needs more investigation tomorrow as it's still not right though.

Oh and thanks to Colin for the armwarmers they fit perfectly, wore them coming home tonight at 10pm :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Oh and thanks to Colin for the armwarmers they fit perfectly, wore them coming home tonight at 10pm :thumbsup:
That's good. I think armwarmers are a great invention, as are legwarmers. They are effective and you can take 'em off mid-ride when you warm up.

The credit should go to palinurus (I think, but I have a dodgy memory! ;)) who donated them to me in the first place.

They were a tad too small for me (as in all blood flow in my arms ceased and my fingers started to tingle within 30 seconds! :eek:).

potsy

Rambler
I must have very puny arms for a 14+st bloke then :biggrin: better get on the rowing machine.
If they were originally Palinrus's then they become the 2nd thing of his I am now using, the seatpost rack I use for commuting was also donated by him, wonder what else he's getting rid of? ;)

They go well with my blue cycling gear too :thumbsup:

Rammylad

Just for the record lads my Garmin clocked 103.4 miles with 1200 metres of climbing. Oldnslow and myself may not have followed the exact intended route between Scorton and Whalley but the distance appears to be similar to the rest of the group. But 1200 metres of climbing ain't too bad for a flat ride. Looking forward to a re-run on a nice warm day.

Top Bottom