Up north..100 mile ride to the coast and back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll be there ! 9.30 BST kick off from Spring Wood!
Bailey Bank? don't like the sound of that, thought it was a flat ride :whistle:

I have it on good authority that the prom at Blackpool is OK and the diversions are well signposted.

See you tomorrow, hope the weather will be good.
I've been advertising it as "flattish". It's as flat as you are going to get without starting in Blackpool and riding loops around the Fylde district! Over 90 miles are either flat or downhill. The uphill bits are mainly fairly tame. Bailey Bank is one of the steeper bits where the road goes down to a bridge over the Hodder and then climbs back up again.

Oh, and don't forget some lights, just in case!
Taking emergency lighting is a sensible idea though it shouldn't be needed because we will have 10 hours to sunset after we set off.

That's why we chose tomorrow plus the 30 minute earlier start for the ride. A 10:00 start last Sunday would have only given us 8 hours 20 minutes to sunset. Obviously a flattish century in 8-and-a-bit hours wouldn't have broken any speed records, but we wouldn't have been able to relax as much at the stops.

So, updating the rider list here ...

skudupnorth (fixie nut)
ColinJ
potsy
bromptonfb
Ajay (meeting us somewhere along the road below Longridge Fell (north side)
Pennine-Paul (another fixie nut )
Alun
tubbycyclist
OldnSlow
italiafirenze (with us until Scorton)

Sorry for going on about it, but since you chaps haven't all posted that you read what I wrote in a previous post above ... ;)

The start time is 09:30 BST!!!

ColinJ

Where did spring go?? Cold, grey and blustery over here, I'll have to dig the gloves n overshoes out again!
As forecast!

The temperatures for the past few days have been typical of late May, but now they are back down where they usually are for late March (unfortunately).

The forecast for tomorrow seems to be for about 7 degrees when we start and maybe 9-10 degrees later on. I'll have my overshoes and arm-warmers on but I'll risk wearing my 3/4 length DHB bibs.

And now I'd better go and do some fettling or I'll be minus a bike!

ColinJ

Kevin - could you make sure you have the main route and the alternative (no ferry) route programmed into your GPS please?

My GPS has never let me down, but I'd like a backup just in case because I don't have a hope of remembering all the little twists and turns of this route if something did happen to go wrong with it. Thanks.

potsy

Rambler
Kevin- now that we are all meeting at 9.15 will we still have time to have a look at my bike?
I shall be getting there for 9am hopefully, gear all packed now, just need to remember to do the clocks :biggrin:

I'm hoping Spring gear will be enough as I am fed up of wearing winter gear now, going to chance no overshoes and spring gloves I think, and summer tights. No doubt Skud will be in full summer gear :rolleyes:

Whisper it but I have even been contemplating getting some armwarmers :blush: for those in between days.

ColinJ

Whisper it but I have even been contemplating getting some armwarmers :blush: for those in between days.
What size are your biceps? (Circumference at largest point.) I have a spare pair which were donated to me by palinurus and they are too tight on me. I reckon they would fit someone with 12.5-13.5" biceps.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
really really sorry guys,

i've been up all night with really bad guts ache. i had a tickly cough last night, just before bed time, i took some lemsip night nurse type stuff. i've been in painful discomfort since. i'm gutted but i'm going to have to pull out, i'm tired, dehydrated and i've got diarrhea. i'm pretty p*s*e* off, this'll be the second ride i've missed.

good luck guys and i hope you all stay mechanical problems free.

ColinJ

really really sorry guys,

i've been up all night with really bad guts ache. i had a tickly cough last night, just before bed time, i took some lemsip night nurse type stuff. i've been in painful discomfort since. i'm gutted but i'm going to have to pull out, i'm tired, dehydrated and i've got diarrhea. i'm pretty p*s*e* off, this'll be the second ride i've missed.

good luck guys and i hope you all stay mechanical problems free.
Aaargh - sorry to hear that Shaun - get well soon!

Actually, it's 3 rides - 2 forum rides, and you pulled out of your 200 because of snow.

There will be other rides, but it's a real shame that you are missing this one. I'll see you on another one soon.

I'd better stop messing about on here and force some breakfast down or I won't be ready for Kevin at 08:30!

potsy

Rambler
What size are your biceps? (Circumference at largest point.) I have a spare pair which were donated to me by palinurus and they are too tight on me. I reckon they would fit someone with 12.5-13.5" biceps.

My arms are not very big so they could well fit me, cheers.
Gutted for you Shaun, get well soon pal.

What time is it now? I'm all confused :wacko:

Svendo

Guru
Looking out the window as I veg on the sofa eating doughnuts waiting for the Grand Prix repeat, the weather looks lovely, hope you all have a great ride.

Ajay

Veteran
Great ride today boys, thanks Colin for the route and sorting the weather. Good to meet you all, hope you're all back safe.
If any of you ever fancy a ride further north (from Lancaster) give me a shout, I'd be happy to guide!
See you next time.

Top Bottom