Up north..100 mile ride to the coast and back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
Great ride today boys, thanks Colin for the route and sorting the weather. Good to meet you all, hope you're all back safe.
If any of you ever fancy a ride further north (from Lancaster) give me a shout, I'd be happy to guide!
See you next time.

Glad you got home in one piece, I felt the last fifteen miles or so big time. Got in for just after seven though. And yes, a nice bunch. Big thanks to everyone, ColinJ in particular for the routing and organisation.

See you all at the next one.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Got in about 9pm,A.6 was not a problem but Preston was interesting with all the little boys in their chav mobiles racing each other....bless !
As even a great bunch of lads to ride with,some wonderful new sights seen and of course the food stops were just right.
Thanks again Colin for another great route.
Roll on the next one

potsy

Rambler
102 miles, really enjoyed that, pics to follow.
Even had a bit of energy to offer Tubby a race up the final hill from Whalley back to Spring wood, he declined :rolleyes::biggrin:

potsy

Rambler
Carefully selected pictures from today.
Ice cream stop at Bonds, very nice.
Ice cream stop at Bonds.JPG
Made it to Blackpool-
Made it to Blackpool.JPG
Cycling on the prom-
cycling on the prom.JPG
One is old n slow, the other is not quite as old but still slow-
Little and Large.JPG
Bikes on the ferry-
Bikes on the ferry.JPG
Skud leaves the ferry-
Skud and the ferry.JPG
Cafe stop was very nice-
Breakfast.JPG
Colinj guards his food-
Colinj guarding his food.JPG
Just how did Tubbycyclist get his username?-
Tubby burger.JPG
Oh dear, the dreaded flat tyre-
Puncture on way home.JPG

tubbycyclist

I enjoyed that too. Great weather and Blackpool was just as I remember! Nice to have some flat miles for a change. ....but it will be Spring into the Dales soon so a short lived change

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Thanks all - brilliant day especially in the sunshine.

Great route Colin - especially the ride home - I'v not been on some of those roads before.

Good pics potsy
Could you send them to my email to add to my collection please?
gordonmorley5@gmail.com

See you all soon

zacklaws

Guru
Looks like it was a good day out for you all, would have liked to have come on this one, but had a manky day at work instead and even too tired to go riding today.

But if any of you are doing Spring into the Dales on April 17th, I'll see you there. Providing my knee is Ok, got on my bike on Saturday to ride home and got a severe stabbing pain in it at the front and crawled home unable to use my leg, but it seemed OK riding home from work yesterday. Wondering if its anything to do with loosing a pedal last week and pedalling home one legged last weekend.

potsy

Rambler
Zacklaws- There are a few of us interested in doing SITD's as a group, it will be a slow group though, definite leisurely paced :biggrin:
We'll post a thread nearer the time.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Another great forum ride!

We were so lucky with the weather - it was a chilly, overcast start at 09:30 but after about 2 hours the sun appeared and we then had fantastic conditions all day.

Rammylad turned up unannounced at Spring Wood. It was nice to meet him again, along with Alun, tubbycyclist, potsy, OldnSlow, Skudupnorth and Pennine-Paul.

We met italiafirenze at the start and Ajay as we rode west below the north side of Longridge Fell.

I liked the stop at Bonds of Elswick. The ice cream was very nice and was reasonably priced. Apparently, it gets very busy in the summer, which doesn't surprise me. The sunshine had brought out quite a few people yesterday, including other cyclists.

Even though I had plotted the route, I found my sense of direction being challenged by the numerous twists and turns that we made. I don't think I'd have enjoyed the route half as much if I didn't have a GPS to help me navigate. In that respect I had able backup from tubbycyclist which helped when I was at the rear of the group as we approached a junction.

As you can see from potsy's photos, we did ride some of the way on the new promenade. It should be really nice when it is finished, apart from the piles of dog crap lying around - thanks a lot those selfish, stupid dog owners in Blackpool! A nice place for families to walk about but some of you still let your dogs leave steaming piles for kids to run through - fantastic! Not great for cyclists either ...

We saw that we were tight for time. We had been riding slowly so far but we were keen to catch the 15:00 ferry at Fleetwood so we skipped the promenade north of Blackpool and rode as quickly as we could to get there in time. We had a fairly strong sea-breeze to contend with all the way to Fleetwood but made it with 5 minutes to spare!

Getting onto the ferry proved a slightly dodgy experience! They kindly shifted the ferry and put a ramp up to us but I reckon that carrying bikes down concrete steps would actually be safer than trying to walk down a 45 degree metal ramp when wearing cycling shoes. Several of us nearly came a cropper slithering down that ...

The cafe at Knott End was really good. We sat in the sunshine at some tables in the garden at the rear of the building where we could catch some rays and keep an eye on our bikes. The food was nice. As you can see from potsy's photo, I was fiercely protective of mine. A bad habit picked up in those years 'inside' - sorry folks! ;)

Eventually, it was time to set off again. We still had that lovely sunshine. What became increasingly obvious was the difference in speed between the faster riders and the slower ones, and also that we weren't going to get back in daylight. OldnSlow didn't have lights. It made sense for him to go on, and Rammylad knew the way. Ajay needed to get back to Lancaster and italiafirenze was heading back towards Blackpool. They decided to say their goodbyes and be on their way, while the remaining 6 of us settled in to a speed that we could cope with.

I paid the price for not changing my rear tyre on Saturday evening. I'd pinched the wheels off my Basso and changed the cassette over so I could ride my Cannondale. I'm not fit enough to ride it on the big hills, but it was ideally suited today's 'flattish' ride. When I'd been working on the wheel, I noticed that the rear tyre had a big flat worn on it. It was obvious that most of the rubber was gone where it contacts the road. I tried to get another few rides out of it, but a sharp object managed to penetrate the tyre. Serves me right. I'll bin the tyre now.

The repair job taught me another lesson - I'm now too long-sighted to work close-up without glasses! I couldn't focus on the hole in my tyre to see if anything was still in there and had to borrow Alun's specs for the job. I must add a cheap pair from the local market to my tool kit!

Skudupnorth was riding his Boardman fixed and had already done an extra 33 miles to get to the start so he made the wise decision to leave us after Scorton and head home on the A6.

The sun was getting low in the sky as we hit the hills again on the run back to Whalley. We were getting tired and were counting down the miles, or kms in my case. A sign saying 'Whalley 3 miles' was a welcome sight. What wasn't quite so welcome was another sign a mile or so down the road also saying 'Whalley 3 miles'!

We made it back about 30 minutes after dark. I clocked it at 163 km, or 101.5 miles.

You know what - I'm not sure I can cope with potsy beating me up all the hills and seeming fresh as a daisy afterwards!

A special thanks to tubbycyclist for the lift. I couldn't have coped with riding an extra 43 miles yesterday to and from Spring Wood.

Special congratulations to Pennine-Paul who not only did by far his longest ride ever, he did it fixed-wheel, and coughing and spluttering all the way after a week with a bad chest infection. Great effort! PS And to Skud whose 148 miles was a massive PB in distance, was also on fixed, and beats my PB by 6 or 7 miles.

And finally ... The answer: 1! (The question: How many beers would I have the energy to drink last night?) ;)

If we don't do another forum ride before then, see some of you chaps on Spring Into The Dales.

Had a brilliant time yesterday,Never having ridden over 60 miles before

a jump to 100 was a challenge to say the least,the last twenty miles

were tough with my duff arm going numb and then on the long downhill

into Longridge my legs just went to jelly,had to unclip and freewheel down

a quick refuel with a cough sweet and the last of my drink seemed to sort

that problem out,managed to potter along for the last few miles but that

last hill out of Whalley had me beaten, my heart lifted when I saw that traffic

lights in 125 m sign at the top of the hill,An end to the Pain was in sight :biggrin:

Managed 1 glass of red wine before retiring to bed

Heres to the next one :thumbsup:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Fantastic write up Colin,i have already said it but this ride was well and truly looked forward too and it lived up to all expectations.If i had more time i would liked to have rode to the finnish but it was a wise move to cut off where i did.
Some nice new sights seen and of course new friends to add to the list along with the ones i have already met on this brilliant site.
Roll on the next one

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
jealous i couldn't come along. i'm still vomiting but not as much. as soon as i'm better i'll be doing the route, maybe this weekend. how far did you do in the end skud?

Top Bottom