Up north..100 mile ride to the coast and back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've taken Shaun's original concept and am working on it. It's looking good!

It has very few A-roads, but it has very little climbing. It goes along the coast and it is bang on 100 miles!

Watch this space ... ;)

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'll keep an eye out.

My preference would be for a Saturday as transport is easier (and I'm busy on Sundays :whistle: but it would be interesting to see what comes up.

Looking at dates more generally, the CC Ecosse rides have a way of people voting for the days they are availible. Would that be useful in the future to either of you?

potsy

Rambler

It has very few A-roads, but it has very little climbing. It goes along the coast and it is bang on 100 miles!

Watch this space ... ;)
Starting where Colin?
Sounds interesting already.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Sounds good colin, cheers, with it being flat keeps it fair for those who expressed an interest in a flat route.
Shall we set the next waddy outing for the 20th then. It needs a new thread starting colin. If it carries on being popular we should ask admin for a sticky thread.

On the 200km ride to the coast, set a date 5 or 6 weeks before fiona's hilly 200km.

ColinJ

Ok, this route is my suggestion! It starts and finishes at Spring Wood picnic centre car park, Whalley. There is a station at Whalley, with trains running from Manchester Victoria via Blackburn (destination Clitheroe).

It is as near as can be exactly 100 miles (161 kms). It has a slightly lumpy beginning, and a less lumpy finish with a really long easy middle section. Here's the profile ...

whalley%20fleetwood%20flat%20century%20ride%20profile.gif

I've marked the highest point on the route, just 12 miles into the ride. It is at 523 ft. To put that into perspective, the highest point on our recent Waddington rides was at 787 ft. This is about as flat as you'll get without going through the local cities. It is an easier route than the Manchester 100 which many riders think of as flat.

The route takies in the coast roads and promenade from Lytham St Anne's through Blackpool and Cleveleys to Fleetwood. Parts of the central Blackpool promenade are currently closed for restoration work and there are diversions in place so we'd have to find our way through them.

A short ferry trip would get us to Knott End for £2 per rider & bike.

There is a good cyclists' cafe at Scorton at the 73 mile point but obviously we could get something to eat and drink as we rode along the promenade.

That's as good as I can come up with chaps! If you don't fancy it, I'll certainly have a go at it by myself when I'm fit enough to add another 42 miles to Spring Wood and back from Hebden Bridge.

My preference would be for a Saturday as transport is easier (and I'm busy on Sundays :whistle: but it would be interesting to see what comes up.
I'm okay for Saturdays or Sundays. Trains are definitely better on Saturdays.

Looking at dates more generally, the CC Ecosse rides have a way of people voting for the days they are availible. Would that be useful in the future to either of you?
I tried the voting system before and ended up doing the ride twice, once on a Saturday, and repeated on a Sunday for those who couldn't make Saturdays! Generally, I'd rather do each ride once!

ColinJ

Im in. Set a date.cheers colin, i appreciate how much it must of hurt not sticking in hills...:smile:
Not as much as actually riding up the damn things! ;)

Apologies to you mcshroom, but I'd like to make it Sunday 27th March to take advantage of the first day of British Summer Time. Hopefully, you'd still be able to come along.

Shaun - can you go back to your first post and edit the thread title to include the date?

So, that would make it Sunday 20th for the hillier Waddington ride.

Let's leave the 13th clear for now because Shaun is off doing his 200. (Though if the weather forecast is looking good nearer the time, I might suggest something.)

I'm going to start a new thread this evening about The Goose Eye Grovel for this Sunday, 6th March!

ColinJ

U up for a ride monday 7th? Her indoors has guests and i would prefer to ride...:smile: ;)
It depends on the weather, and if my legs aren't fried from Goose Eye Grovelling! If nobody wants to do the ride on the Sunday, we could do it on the Monday instead.

potsy

Rambler
I'm in for the 20th ride.
Will have to work out parking arrangements for the 27th, but I will be there almost certainly.

potsy

Rambler
Er, the parking arrangements for the ride should be straight forward since it starts from a car park!

You have to do your best to take part because the route has been optimised for us you! ;)

Yes I know that it starts from 'a' car park, but i don't leave my Porsche just anywhere you know
rolleyes.gif
do we know if it's open all day?

Look forward to studying this 'optimised' route, I'm sure there'll be a few nasty ones in there
biggrin.gif

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
profile1.gif

Doesn't look that bad.

I won't be joining you as a) I have a choir to run on Sundays and b) I'll have just got back from touring SW Scotland
biggrin.gif

Have fun everybody though
wave.gif

potsy

Rambler
I think I'll pass on this one lads!

Really?
biggrin.gif

colin,
organize what you like, i was thinking of potsy's jelly legs. He says bring on the hills, so bring em on. But others have shown an interest on a flat ride, it would be a bit unfair. Let me see if i can get a flattish scenic route, but it may have to start more towards manchester or preston way. i'm too busy till sunday to look tho.

Cheers

shaun
Oi leave my jelly legs out of it, I am thinking of those others who wanted a flat ride
whistling.gif

Watch this space ... ;)

And he's suddenly not giving it a miss
bravo.gif

ColinJ

Yes I know that it starts from 'a' car park, but i don't leave my Porsche just anywhere you know
rolleyes.gif
do we know if it's open all day?
In case anyone wants to know where Spring Wood is, follow this link. As far as I can tell, there is no way of them locking the car park since there are no gates. If you remember, there is a 6' 6" Steve H vehicle height barrier and that is it. The toilet block does get locked up though.

(I bet that car park and the nearby woods become 'Doggers Delight' once it gets dark, so watch out if getting changed out of your cycling kit in your car! ;))

If you want to check about the car park, ring Lancashire Countryside Service on 01772 534709.

Look forward to studying this 'optimised' route, I'm sure there'll be a few nasty ones in there
biggrin.gif
The early lumpy bits won't matter because they all happen within the first 12 miles when we will have fresh legs. After that it is 70 easy miles. The last two little climbs might hurt a bit if we feel tired - up from the Ribble just after Ribchester, and that liitle climb back up to the car park from Whalley at the end.

I won't be joining you as a) I have a choir to run on Sundays and b) I'll have just got back from touring SW Scotland
biggrin.gif

Have fun everybody though
wave.gif
And you have fun in Scotland!

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 51
Top Bottom