Up north..100 mile ride to the coast and back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajay

Veteran
You'll have a full day to recover AJay - the ride is on Sunday 27th! ;)

Any comments about the bit between Lytham and Fleetwood?

Nice one, I hadnt followed the thread properly so was thinking we were talking about 19th, if it's 27th then I'm available and (hopefully) sober.
I did the Cheshire Cat last year so have no intention to pay good money to witness the "Mow Cop Massacre" again!

I havent any experience of cycling on Blackpool prom, but know that the whole stretch is part of a national cycle network route. There's usually at least a few sections being dug up at any given time, but it should be straightforward enough to get from Lytham to Fleetwood relatively traffic-free (just gotta dodge the tram tracks, dog shoot and drunken slappers).

Let's hope the wind drops by then, the Fylde flatlands are no place to ride a bike in a Force 10, as group leader you can take the front!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nice one, I hadnt followed the thread properly so was thinking we were talking about 19th, if it's 27th then I'm available and (hopefully) sober.

I did the Cheshire Cat last year so have no intention to pay good money to witness the "Mow Cop Massacre" again!
Very good!

There's usually at least a few sections being dug up at any given time, but it should be straightforward enough to get from Lytham to Fleetwood relatively traffic-free (just gotta dodge the tram tracks, dog shoot and drunken slappers).
Ah, you make it sound so appealing! ;)

Let's hope the wind drops by then, the Fylde flatlands are no place to ride a bike in a Force 10, as group leader you can take the front!!
I've been thinking about that! The wind has been really bad here today - 2 people died in West Yorkshire when lorries blew over. I was trying to imagine what it would be like riding out there near the coast on a very windy day like today. It would turn what is supposed to be a really easy century into something appallingly hard and potentially dangerous.

I can cope with moderate winds on flat roads better than most smaller people. My bulk actually helps me for once. I don't like headwinds on steep climbs though - oh, no!

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I think many Lancastrians look upon Blackpool like some kind of embarrassing relative, we don't talk about her, pretend she doesnt exist and don't go to visit her unless we absolutely have to!!:laugh:

speak for yourself, i love blackpool, especially the new promenade.

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
I havent any experience of cycling on Blackpool prom, but know that the whole stretch is part of a national cycle network route. There's usually at least a few sections being dug up at any given time, but it should be straightforward enough to get from Lytham to Fleetwood relatively traffic-free (just gotta dodge the tram tracks, dog shoot and drunken slappers).

You're right about a lot of that, a large section of the promenade is currently completely closed, so you'll need to find a diversion. It will probably still be closed next Sunday. I'm at the wrong end of this ride really in Blackpool but wish you all luck.

ColinJ

a large section of the promenade is currently completely closed, so you'll need to find a diversion. It will probably still be closed next Sunday.
I normally provide (almost) hiccup-free navigation on my forum rides courtesy of my trusty Garmin Etrex GPS but I am expecting a few minor problems on the stretch between Lytham and Fleetwood because of diversions and the promenades not being marked on my digital OS map. Hopefully though, it shouldn't be too difficult to get on the promenades where we can, and find our way round the diversions when we can't.

NB The ride takes place 2 weeks on Sunday, on the 27th.

I'm at the wrong end of this ride really in Blackpool but wish you all luck.
If you fancied it, we could meet you at Bonds in Elswick and you could ride round as far you liked with us before heading back to Blackpool?

Ajay

Veteran
speak for yourself, i love blackpool, especially the new promenade.

Maybe you didnt spot the tongue in cheek.
If it's a nice new prom you're after, then Morecambe's where it's at, great views across the bay to the Lakeland Fells, rather than gas rigs.

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
I would be free on that Sunday so maybe I could meet up? Any idea of a rough ETA to Elswick?

As of today the Prom is shut from central to north pier, completely, cycle routes/walkways and all. Large sections are also one way. From after North pier to Fleetwood you can use the lower prom so it's off-road all the way, quite a nice ride.

It has been changing from week to week as the works move, and even day to day as they change the direction traffic can go so in two weeks time it may be different, but I will be pleased to keep you apprised of the situation. Quite apart from which, if I'm there I can help you navigate around quite easily.

The promenade is almost my default training ride when I want to squeeze a quick ride in.

ColinJ

I would be free on that Sunday so maybe I could meet up? Any idea of a rough ETA to Elswick?
I'd take a guess and say 11:30 - 11:45 ish. It's 25 miles from the start and there some hilly bits in the first 12 miles so that section will be quite slow, after which it will be a much quicker ride down to Elswick.

As of today the Prom is shut from central to north pier, completely, cycle routes/walkways and all. Large sections are also one way. From after North pier to Fleetwood you can use the lower prom so it's off-road all the way, quite a nice ride.

It has been changing from week to week as the works move, and even day to day as they change the direction traffic can go so in two weeks time it may be different, but I will be pleased to keep you apprised of the situation. Quite apart from which, if I'm there I can help you navigate around quite easily.
That would be helpful. I'm sure we'd find our way through somehow, but local knowledge is always good. I don't know that coastal section at all. I've walked up and down The Golden Mile to and from the Pleasure Beach a few times in the past but never cycled it.

ColinJ

Do we have a start time and landmark to start from yet ? should be doing it on the fixed
Come on chaps - keep up! ;)

I've taken part in rather a lot of these threads now and the amount of time I have to spend checking to see if anybody has asked questions that I've already supplied the answers to is, er, well put it this way - I have to do it rather frequently!

And usually what happens is that as soon as I answer those questions, somebody else asks them again! (Shaun being a bugger for that! :whistle: )

So the answers to your two questions are - yes we do have a start time and - yes we do know where we are starting from!

Actually, the problem with this thread is that I didn't make the first post so I can't do what I normally do which is to edit it to provide such information in the most logical place for it!

(Okay - here's the info again)

Shaun - can you take the information below and copy it to the start of your first post so people don't have to trawl through the entire thread to check the details of the ride, and could you edit the thread title to include the date of the ride and where it starts from because it is rather vague at the moment? Cheers!

---------- 8< -- cut and paste the text below to the start of the thread -- >8 ----------

To celebrate the start of summer time, we are doing a longer forum ride for a change. This one is an almost flat imperial century from Spring Wood picnic centre above Whalley to the west coast and back. It will take place on Sunday, 27th March, starting from the car park at Spring Wood at 09:30. Details of Spring Wood.

The first and last parts of the ride include a few relatively minor hills, but there is a good 70 mile section in the middle which is downhill, then flat.

We intend to call in at Bonds of Elswick for ice creams at the 25 mile point.

We can buy fish 'n chips somewhere at the seaside if we feel like it. We will be doing a gentle ride up what sections of promenade are open between Lytham and Fleetwood.

The intention is to catch the ferry across the Wyre between Fleetwood and Knott End. The ferry will leave on the hour. If we just miss it, or the ferry isn't running because of rough seas, we have an alternate route which takes us parallel to the Wyre until we can cross it further inland.

If we catch the ferry, we will be riding this route which is 101 miles in length. The ferry will cost £2 per cyclist + bike. Please note - I've been told we will have to carry our bikes on steps so watch it if you wear Look (or similar) cleats on your shoes.

If we don't catch the ferry, we will be riding this alternate route which is 102 miles in length.

We will be passing the rather nice Priory cafe in Scorton after about 77 miles so we can call in there if we need another stop.

Both route variations are as fixed-friendly as you are going to get in this neck of the woods. You may have to walk a few short, steeper climbs but almost all of the route will be rideable fixed-wheel.

We will ride at the speed of the slowest, though it would be nice to average 10 mph including stops to allow us to get back in daylight. Nobody will be left behind. Bring emergency lights in case we are delayed by mechanical problems or fatigue.

If you would like to join us but only want to ride 50 miles, you can catch a train back to Whalley from Blackpool North station. That will cost you £11. Depending on which train you catch, it would mean a single change at Blackburn, or changing at Preston then Blackburn.

---------- 8< -- cut and paste the text above to the start of the thread -- >8 ----------

Pay attention, because I'm not telling you that little lot again! :thumbsup:

Steve H

Large Member
Sounds like it's going to be a great day! Semi-regretting doing Cheshire Cat now and missing this opportunity!

Hope the ride goes so well for you guys that you decide to repeat it again in the not so distant future.

potsy

Rambler
This is what happens when you let amateurs like Shaun start the thread off
rolleyes.gif

Steve-shame you are otherwise engaged as it should be a great day, but I'm sure you'll have 'fun' on the Cheshire cat, and there is always the ride on the 20th if you're free
thumbsup.png

Svendo

Guru
Has the Waddington Ride on 20th got it's own thread? Or will it be tacked onto the "Forum ride from Hebden Bridge to Waddington, Sun 27 th Feb (And back!!) " Thread.
Only ask so can confirm start times and expected route etc. etc.

Top Bottom