Up north..100 mile ride to the coast and back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alun

Guru
I have finished working down south now, so I wouldn't mind coming along, provided the weather's not dire.
I'm not sure how suitable the Prom will be on a Sunday afternoon for racers like us. Is there a plan B for that stretch, just in case?

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
sounds like a plan. or we could meet somewhere. which way you planning on going to get to the start?

I was going to ride up to Botany Bay,cross the back of Blackburn past Witton country park onto Whalley rd to the meeting place......it's going to hurt me this ride is'nt it ??? :blush:

potsy

Rambler
No worries...it's still going to hurt :biggrin:

I might pass you in the car Skud, I'll give you a friendly 'beep beep' :thumbsup:
If you're struggling after we get back to Whalley I should be able to get another bike in and drop you off home.
Might have to dismantle them more than normal though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have finished working down south now, so I wouldn't mind coming along, provided the weather's not dire.
I'm not sure how suitable the Prom will be on a Sunday afternoon for racers like us. Is there a plan B for that stretch, just in case?
Hi Alun. You'd be most welcome to join us again and I'm certainly hoping for better than dire weather too!

As for the Prom ... some of it is shut for repairs anyway so some of the coastal section will be subject to diversions. I don't have a clue about the roads round there so I hope we can just toddle along the Prom in the sunshine, and if we can't, then we'll just have to ride up the nearest road and watch out for tramlines! (Do the trams run on the roads, or do they have their own dedicated area?)

There will be one or two people on the ride with local knowledge so if it isn't obvious which way to go, I'm hoping that they will direct us. Looking at the map, I'd say that plan B would be to head north on the A584, A587 and head north!

We do have a plan, er, C in case the ferry to Knott End isn't running.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I might pass you in the car Skud, I'll give you a friendly 'beep beep' :thumbsup:
If you're struggling after we get back to Whalley I should be able to get another bike in and drop you off home.
Might have to dismantle them more than normal though.

Cheers buddy,hope to do it all on two wheels because this will be my biggest mileage in one day !

ColinJ

Close to my uni! Too close to the tour of flanders sportive though :sad:
It's a week before isn't it? Our speed will be low, so it shouldn't be a problem for you a week later, and surely 7 days before is too late to be doing serious training for a sportive?

I'd have thought that an easy century would be just the job with a week to go!

Ajay

Veteran
Hey Colin,
I should do the Eco friendly thing and cycle to Whalley rather than drive. So my plan is to ride out that way, but I probably won't get all the way to whalley for the start time so I'll head in on your outbound route and intercept you somewhere (from your link I'm thinking you're taking the north west route skirting the north of longridge fell).
I'll leave you after the brew stop in scorton and head back to Lancaster from there.
Looking forward to meeting the gang!

montage

God Almighty
It's a week before isn't it? Our speed will be low, so it shouldn't be a problem for you a week later, and surely 7 days before is too late to be doing serious training for a sportive?

I'd have thought that an easy century would be just the job with a week to go!

I've been trying to work on speedwork lately, which means I have done absolutely no long rides...I think 45 hilly (very hilly) miles is about my tops since operation. I haven't ridden over this distance since the knee op, so if I overdo it they may still be sore for the flanders trip. I don't mind overdoing it on the flanders trip, as I can easily take the time off to recover.

Sorry, it's just not sensible to do (I know the flanders sportive is hardly more sensible!)

Have a good ride, and hopefully I'll join you guys for a ride after the easter holidays

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
first post edited, to keep colinj happy :smile:. i've put up a list of attendees, a meeting time, a link to the route and where we're meeting.

anything else fussy?

ColinJ

Hey Colin,
I should do the Eco friendly thing and cycle to Whalley rather than drive. So my plan is to ride out that way, but I probably won't get all the way to whalley for the start time so I'll head in on your outbound route and intercept you somewhere (from your link I'm thinking you're taking the north west route skirting the north of longridge fell).
I'll leave you after the brew stop in scorton and head back to Lancaster from there.
Looking forward to meeting the gang!
That'll be great. If all goes to plan, we should be riding below the north side of the Fell between about 10:00 and 10:30 so if you could get to Inglewhite by 09:45 and ride towards us, we should meet up somewhere.

I've been trying to work on speedwork lately, which means I have done absolutely no long rides...I think 45 hilly (very hilly) miles is about my tops since operation. I haven't ridden over this distance since the knee op, so if I overdo it they may still be sore for the flanders trip. I don't mind overdoing it on the flanders trip, as I can easily take the time off to recover.

Sorry, it's just not sensible to do (I know the flanders sportive is hardly more sensible!)

Have a good ride, and hopefully I'll join you guys for a ride after the easter holidays
Ah, ok - yes, an injured knee is a different matter.

Blimey - Flanders! It's one of my favourite races but it'll be tough on your knee - watch you don't kill it!

Catch you another time.

MAybe a reminder about the clock change?
Good thinking ...

Remember that we chose this Sunday because it is the first day of British Summer Time. If you don't put your clocks forward an hour before you go to bed on Saturday night, you will miss those of us who did by an hour!

(You wait - somebody will still do it! ;))

We won't hang about for an hour waiting for any people stuck on GMT, but we will be riding pretty slowly so you should be able to catch us if you get stuck in.

Top Bottom