Updating an older MTB - geometry change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have an older MTB - a 2012 Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 - which I bought second hand about 7 years ago and have ridden extensively since. It has been fun and reliable but is getting on a bit. The frame geometry is steep with a long stem and narrower bars, the wheels are QR and so on. I updated the drivetrain a while back to 1x10 with a 11-46T cassette, appropriate derailleur and an oval chainring but it still just looks old. I'm a tinkerer so I got to thinking about if I could update it a little? My thoughts:

Replace the 100mm travel Reba fork with a longer travel one. This would lift the front end, slackening the rake, increasing the trail and extending the wheelbase like all the new bikes are.
Replace the handlebars with some wider ones, possible going from a riser bar to a flat one. Consider carbon bars for weight loss (the bike is already quite light so this would just be because I can).
Replace the 90mm stem with something shorter.

This is not to try and create a modern bike per se - I have other MTBs of a more modern stance - but this bike means a lot to me and I'd like to keep it relevant. I ride it as it is now and it does everything I need it to whilst looking a bit dated. Plus I like to tinker.

I guess the fork would be the most significant outlay - the current one is getting on a bit although is smooth enough after an overhaul. It is sitting on Superstar wheels with convertible hubs so I could go for a through axle fork and just swap the end caps on my existing front wheel for a mullet setup (TA front, QR rear).

This is a thought exercise for now - how does my laymans' geometry fiddling look? Will this turn into an unrideable bronco?

1673537774051.png

Stock image - I long-since replaced the white-striped tyres, plus the 3x drivetrain is now gone and I'm on Superstar wheels with WTB rims.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Sticking a decent 120mm Air fork on there would be good, though you may not notice a lot of difference (if any) in rake or wheelbase. I wouldn't go above 120mm though, for the frame’s sake.

A shorter stem and wider bars won't alter the geometry, but they will transform a bike's handling characteristics and (to some extent) alter your centre of gravity on the bike.

I wouldn't spend too much on there though (says the man who spent £700 building up a £20 GT Avalanche frame). :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's an XC hard tail, and TBH I'd keep it like that. Deffo no more than 120 and you could run a little more SAG so it doesn't affect the geometry as such.

You've got other MTB's - I assume more Trail orientated with longer travel. Carbon bar may be lighter - just check as they are usually overbuilt anyway. How about some quick XC tyres ?

It would make a really quick bike as it is. It will never be as quick as a trail bike over the gnarly stuff, but it's already a good climber/flat bike.

Top Bottom