Upgrade Advice (Brakes)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I am thinking of changing/upgrading my brake system. I currently have the stock V Avid brakes installed. I want to change to callipers but, I have no idea which to choose, if they will fit my bike and if they are better. Any advice is welcome, if you link any dont go linking anything over £45 for a set. (money is tight atm)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Bear in mind that a v-brake pulls a different amount of cable to other brakes (apart from mechanical discs).

This means that the levers you have won't work with other types of brake.

Any other brake you fit will need new levers, increasing the cost of your upgrade.

What don't you like about the Avids?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've never had much of a problem with V's, tbh (if you want faff, road levers and cantis are the way to go, and set aside a week or so's tinkering).

I guess you're using the little allen headed screws on the arms to centre the brakes? (Assuming your avids have them)

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
To add to John's comment regarding the little (usually allen headed) screws for fine tuning spring tension on each individual arm, sometimes one needs to pick a different detent (out of three usually) on each side to make the tension the same on both sides. Following this should enable you to center it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you have problems adjusting Vs, don't go anywhere near cantis would be my advice.
Far too many ways of stuffing them up IMHO. And IME, for that matter.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
IME, if adjusting the small screws at the base of the brake arms has little or no effect, then look to the routing of your cables. If too tight/slack, they can cause undue sideways pressure on the noodle tubes which in turn causes unequal forces on the brake arms.

Top Bottom