Upgrade advice needed for carrera subway 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danoffroad

@danoffroad here is your new thread in the mechanics section.

Yes I see it thank you very much

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I had a subway many years ago with the same seatpost and had a similar issue, i bought a replacement non suspension post as a replacement as it was a gimmick that made no real difference to comfort.
looks like the rest of the seatpost is still in the frame, try turning the bike upsidedown and jiggling it to see if it will fall out enough to get hold of it .
If you look on the seat post there should be a size stamped /printed on it somewhere 27.2 ,30.8 and 31.6 are common sizes

Ajax Bay

Guru
Yes - what you can see as a 'washer' still in the seat tube is the remnants of the suspension seat post. You have to get that out. It is probably not stuck but needs upward force to extract. I'd fashion a straight piece of metal with a hook (U bend) at the end which will fit through the section of tube left in there and fiddle around till I got a catch, and then pull. A straightened heavy gauge metal coat hanger would be my first try.
@cyberknight's 'upside down and shake' may work: try that first.
I suspect the seat post is FUBAR and you'll need another. Go for a 'normal' one (diameter possibilities as per ^^^).
If no success, your local bike shop will pluck this out in two minutes, and sell you the right size seat post as a replacement.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes - what you can see as a 'washer' still in the seat tube is the remnants of the suspension seat post. You have to get that out. It is probably not stuck but needs upward force to extract. I'd fashion a straight piece of metal with a hook (U bend) at the end which will fit through the section of tube left in there and fiddle around till I got a catch, and then pull. A straightened heavy gauge metal coat hanger would be my first try.
@cyberknight's 'upside down and shake' may work: try that first.
I suspect the seat post is FUBAR and you'll need another. Go for a 'normal' one (diameter possibilities as per ^^^).
If no success, your local bike shop will pluck this out in two minutes, and sell you the right size seat post as a replacement.

good thinking, i was forgetting how tight seatposts can be especially if they havent been greased pre fitting

Top Bottom