Upgrade or buy new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pgs2512

Regular
I got into cycling about May 2016 and was advised by my local bike shop to a Merida Ride 100 as a good entry bike. I've started riding longer and faster but still more of a weekend rider than anything else. I find the bike comfortable and fast enough for me, but the Claris\Sora group set a bit wanting.

My question is: Is it worth keeping the frame and upgrade the groupset to 105 or higher, or save up and go for a carbon frame with moderate components?

If you want to upgrade to 105 5700 you will need a new groupset which is about £500 new or if search Ebay you can find them second hand for less.

If you want to go to the new 105 5800 you may need a new wheel if the current one cannot cope with 11 speed which will add even more cost.

For me I would keep the Merida and get a new bike. It is sale season at the moment so you could get a right bargain, a whole bike for the cost of a groupset. Radial Cycles carbon offering and Decathlons offering spring to mind as good options between £500 and £850. I think in the classifieds there is a Giant for sale within this range?

GlenBen

Über Member
You can buy a merida ride 400 with 105 at the moment for just iver 600. Id be doing that and having a spare bike rather than upgrading. Assuming you like the bike that much you would buy the same again.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Pgs2512 look out for a 2nd hand low used bargain there are loads out there , i saw a Triban 3 last night covered 70 miles in 2 years last for a steel of a price

So bargains are out there

vickster

Legendary Member
@Pgs2512 look out for a 2nd hand low used bargain there are loads out there , i saw a Triban 3 last night covered 70 miles in 2 years last for a steel of a price

So bargains are out there
I can't see a Triban 3 being much of an upgrade on an entry level Merida, especially if he is looking for a 'higher' groupset

Start cycles were selling carbon Formes with 105 at big discounts. Paulscycles always have deals too...not to mention, Rutland, Winstanleys, Evans...sales are all on currently

Keep the Merida for winter, get a new bike with Tiagra / 105 as won't be a whole heap more than getting just the groupset (+ new wheel if needed to take an 11 speed cassette) and swapping over

The other option is source a used 5700 105 groupset for example, from someone who has 'upgraded'

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's stupid how the shifters, mechs and wheels are all integrated now to discourage you upgrading piecemeal. Reject the upgrade treadmill and buy a nice vintage ride from someone like @biggs682 - it'll rarely win races but they really are smile a mile ;)

And surprisingly, I think most of the spare parts are still made, even some old Shimano and SunTour designs.

S-Express

It's stupid how the shifters, mechs and wheels are all integrated

It's still possible to swap all of those components individually - not sure how they are 'integrated' in that sense.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's still possible to swap all of those components individually - not sure how they are 'integrated' in that sense.
I guess he means if going from 8/ 9 speed to 10/11 speed, will need new shifters, cassette (rear wheel potentially), mechs? Presumably not cranks if going double to double with same number of teeth? Unless he wants a full groupset that says 105 on all components I guess

vickster

Legendary Member
I was just using this as an example
Well yes, I'm sure there are plenty of deals out there (also that represent a potential 'upgrade' in the eyes of the OP). What's a steal (I assume rather than steel) for a Triban 3 that was under £300 new (and sold in sales for less several times)

The OP kind of needs to provide reasoning as ^^ and a budget (having a grand is a different proposition to having £200 say)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well yes, I'm sure there are plenty of deals out there (also that represent a potential 'upgrade' in the eyes of the OP). What's a steal (I assume rather than steel) for a Triban 3 that was under £300 new (and sold in sales for less several times)

The OP kind of needs to provide reasoning as ^^ and a budget (having a grand is a different proposition to having £200 say)

The Triban in question was less than a £100 and sold before i had chance to say yes

I have just treated myself to a BMC Teamachine slr03 bought new June 2015 and It has done no more than 200 miles and cost about a 3rd of what the original owner paid for it new so bargains are out there

Top Bottom