Upgrade or buy new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
One advantage of upgrading the existing bike is you get to choose exactly what components you want. I've recently built up an old frame and looked in some depth at the option of buying a complete bike, swapping the parts onto my old frame and then selling the new frame.

But every new bike I looked at wasn't quite right - either the cassette had the wrong ratios, or the cranks were the wrong length, or the bars were the wrong width or something else. You'll often find as well that a bike advertised as having a 105 groupset doesn't have a full groupset. For example the link in the post above is to a bike that has a FSA chainset. Nothing wrong with that, but worth being aware of.

OP
OP
P

Pgs2512

Regular
Thanks for all the answers guys, its very helpful.

To answer the questions:

The reason I find the groupset wanting is, firstly I would like to 10/11 speed options available and, secondly I find the shifting rather clunky at points especially when compared to the better groupsets I've had the chance to ride.

The budget would be a case of, groupset upgrade I could do early summer this year whereas for a new bike I would wait until I could go carbon frame and the groupset I wanted, in which I wait until this time next year

vickster

Legendary Member
Assuming your current groupset is optimally set up, all the parts are in good nick etc, maybe try to get a used 10 speed groupset - they do come up on here in the classifieds or on Fleabay
You may not need to change all the parts

If you want the new bike sooner, and you can afford the payments, there are plenty of deals out there on 0% finance :smile: (don't forget to properly insure if buying on the 'never never' )

Top Bottom