Upgrade or New?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Damn, and just when I had thought I had decided! ;)

g00se: it's 58cm/22.5". Evans had one in the whole of the UK and I believe that's gone. The shop my work usually gets bikes through (going through them means a 1 week turnaround) couldn't get hold of any - all gone. Other shops I tried don't do Kona.

Can anyone recommend a disc-brake equipped equivalent to the Trek 7.2 for under £450?

g00se

Veteran
The store I got mine from on cyclescheme seems to have one in that size left -
http://www.cyclesuk.com/394-474631?sid=37fbdcb953cbd9c6

Whether there is a branch near you I don't know.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jezston said:
Shame, as I was going to get a Kona Dew (with disc brakes) but sadly the 2009's in my size are nowhere to be found and the 2010s don't appear to hit the UK until January ;) (and they cost more).

Anyone else share jimboalee's views on disc brakes? (although not sure what hub brakes are) Would I be very sensible to reconsider?

Hub brakes are... brakes inside a hub. Even less affected by wet and dirt than discs....

Personally, I've never had disc brakes, I have hub brakes (and gears) on my winter daily bike, and rim brakes on everything else, and find them fine - although I probably haven't commuted as much as some people on here, up to now. It might depend to some extent on what your ride is like - as L-C says, any off road stuff, or mucky puddles, will add to the grit and stuff on the rims.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The only bike I have ridden with disc brakes was on holiday, the conditions were bone dry, so I can't comment on the performance in the wet. What I can say is that disc brakes give far superior control and braking performance then I have ever experienced with rim brakes. I like to ride fast (especially on descents) and I like having control, brake fade is not fun, give me discs any day.

Don't necessarily panic, Jezston. Remember that my circumstances are a major contributing factor to my rims and brakes woes!! If you're not going off road on your commute and / or don't have to do a big downhill section just after riding through a load of gloopy muddy water you'll most likely be fine.

I know that rim brakes don't like wet weather and you end up with nice smeggy "squid inky" rims, but don't think that's as damaging as the gritty paste I pick up. Maybe someone who has a all on-road commute can confirm?

So you don't necessarily have to have disk or hub brakes, but it's maybe something to consider.

Actually, does anybody even make anything other than an MTB with disk brakes? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Thanks for the thoughts - my commute doesn't take me off-road, although I would like to have the odd ride in the country or whatnot. Nothing 'hardcore' though!

So I am in the position now where I could swap my order for the Kona Dew Plus (thanks to g00se for finding the vendor). Will the disc brakes be worth the other areas I may be compromising in? How does the Kona Dew Plus compare to the Trek 7.2 in areas other than brakes?

g00se

Veteran
When I got my bike, I was looking between the Kona Dew Plus and the Trek 7.3. From memory, the Kona component spec was equal to or higher than the Trek so I assume that holds for the 7.2 too (which is one down the food chain from the 7.3).

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
For easy comparison I gone done this:

Most of this info means nothing to me, so any thoughts appreciated - basically, is the Dew better or worse than the 7.2 outside of brakes?

84yQi.gif

g00se

Veteran
OK - seeing as I'm one of the culprits for making you reconsider, I'd better put the work in :blush:

Bear in mind the RRP of the Kona is £50 more than the Trek.

Frame - both aluminium.
Forks - both cro-mo steel (the Kona P2s have a very good reputation).
Front gear - both cheapies
Rear gear - Kona's Deore better than Alivio
Chainset - Don't know but googling has them for similar prices - the Kona's a fraction more.
Pedals - both cheapies
Brakes - you know the score here :tongue:
Handlebars, Stem, seatpost - Much of a muchness at this pricepoint? Not sure. Bontrager is a decent brand.
Rims - after googling, both decent budget rims
Hubs - the Treks's rear is 'Altus' range and Kona is 'Deore' so the Kona's is better. No details on the Trek's front hub.
Tyres - similar style, the Trek's Marathon's are worth a few quid more and have better pucture resistance from what I can read.
Saddles - this is really down to the riders preference and shape of their arse :smile:. It's probably the first thing someone changes on the bike. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say the Bontrager is better as it's a dedicated brand whereas the Kona 'Comfort' is a generic job?

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Ta very much - looks like I will be going for the Kona then puffpant.

Seems I've been lucky on this as although everywhere seems to now be out of 56cm jobs, according to some sites: "The Dew models have a compact frame size that come up 5cm smaller than stated. E.g. 56cm frame = 51cm"

... and Evans have plenty 60cm Dews left.

Only annoyance being that they aren't on the scheme my company usually uses, so while if I'd gone for the Trek I'd have it on Friday (!!!) I'll likely have to wait a couple of weeks for the Kona.

I almost ordered the Kona last week but thought I'd hold of - whilst a bit annoyed that I did, kind of a relief I just noticed the frame size issue and that's all they have left!

So I guess fate has dictated I shall get the Kona Dew Plus, with it being the perfect bike :blush:

Just hope now my clunker lasts that long - was making some worrying vibrations on the way home last night and it refuses to hit the top gear any more!

g00se

Veteran
Hmm, I'm just shy of 5'9" with a 31" inside leg and I've got a 54cm Dew Plus (though I was borderline with 56cm). If Evans can order a 56cm and a 58cm in too to compare with the 60cm it'll be well worth it as the 60cm might be a nut-cracker.... I think you really need to try some out.

Look at: http://bikes.konaworld.com/09/09_dewplus_en.cfm for the Stand Over heights of the bikes. Though the top tube is quite sloped on these bikes.
To work out an ideal stand over height for you:

With the shoes on you're likely to cycle in, stick a book between your legs up as high as it will go, and mark on a wall the top of the book. Ideally, take an inch off this height and that's the SO you want.

What was the frame size of the Trek you tested?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jezston said:
Just hope now my clunker lasts that long - was making some worrying vibrations on the way home last night and it refuses to hit the top gear any more!

Oh no, you didn't let it hear you talking about a new bike did you?

Better get down to the shed and promise it a nice service pampering.

Top Bottom