Upgrade or switch commute bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have been commuting for years on my specialized sirrus sport and it has served me well. I also have a domane slr 6 for road cycling. Occasionally I use it for commuting and it’s so much quicker that I’m wanting to retire my sirrus and upgrade. I have alsways preferred flat bars for commuting in London as I feel I get better road view as it’s pretty busy.

I have also seen one of these and I’m sorely tempted. Am I better to just use my road bike or buy one of these? The road surface is patchy and lots of speed bumps etc which I always wince on my carbon at speed.

I know I know always buy bikes but will it be as quick as my domane or will I still feel like it’s a slower hybrid? My lbs says buy but they’re interested in selling me a bike obviously!

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I have been commuting for years on my specialized sirrus sport and it has served me well. I also have a domane slr 6 for road cycling. Occasionally I use it for commuting and it’s so much quicker that I’m wanting to retire my sirrus and upgrade. I have alsways preferred flat bars for commuting in London as I feel I get better road view as it’s pretty busy.

I have also seen one of these and I’m sorely tempted. Am I better to just use my road bike or buy one of these? The road surface is patchy and lots of speed bumps etc which I always wince on my carbon at speed.

I know I know always buy bikes but will it be as quick as my domane or will I still feel like it’s a slower hybrid? My lbs says buy but they’re interested in selling me a bike obviously!

:welcome: Good first post, raises some interesting pondering points.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I would get a dedicated commuter. The Trek looks good. I have a whyte Montpellier which is my goto steed even though I have a newer Specialized Roubaix full Carbon. They are both so comfy but I rack up more miles on the Monty.

Do you have others in your stable then old bean?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Simple aerodynamics says that at a given effort you won't be as quick as on the Domane (alright you can argue about type width and comfort). If you can get past that and start thinking about just being faster and more agile than your Sirrus, then that is easy to achieve.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I just picked the 2014 model Sirrus Sport as a comparison and TBH I can't see the new bike bringing much more to the table for the use you have in mind. Won't you still be worried about hammering your expensive carbon Trek just like you are about the Domane?

The biggest thing I could see that made the Trek stand out to me were the disc brakes and Fr & Rr thru axles (Tektro brakes though which really aren't good enough considering the rest of the spec and the price tag!).

OP
OP
M

Markymark

I just picked the 2014 model Sirrus Sport as a comparison and TBH I can't see the new bike bringing much more to the table for the use you have in mind. Won't you still be worried about hammering your expensive carbon Trek just like you are about the Domane?

The biggest thing I could see that made the Trek stand out to me were the disc brakes and Fr & Rr thru axles (Tektro brakes though which really aren't good enough considering the rest of the spec and the price tag!).
This is what worries me, spend £2k and not get the benefit I’m looking for.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Do you have secure storage at work, that would worry me most.

Get another drop bar bike, the flat bars are a complete red herring, I don't think you'll gain anything from that one you've linked to. If you're worried about keeping your eye on traffic buy some of the Zefal spin mirrors and do some pilates

Top Bottom