Upgrade to 11 speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Chain?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Surely the arrival of a new wheel, albeit with an 11 speed freehub, does not drive a change of drivetrain speed to 11 speed. 10 speed cassettes do fit on 11 speed freehubs, you know (with a simple spacer).
The cost of this will be far greater that the bike cost new, and at least double its value now, just in bits (retail). But you know that, or maybe not "What else will I need to change".

Gazjacko

I’d just get the spacer and stay 2x10. Are your new wheels an upgrade? If so keep the old ones on for foul weather days and your nice new rims for ‘Sunday best’. I have a 10 speed with shallow rims for wet windy days and 60mm deep rims for quiet days (both, importantly have alloy brake track).
Ask yourself if you’ve ever thought your gearing jumps were too big, or just ride the ten but gets closer ratio cassette 12-25 for super smooth changes.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The only issue with ten speed is that replacement parts of 105 quality or above are getting very scarce new or NOS, and can cost more than 11 speed kit. This happens when there is a break in compatibility. Eventually upgrading will be more or less forced on us, whether through the new bike route or through a wholesale replacement of parts.

Gazjacko

Remember that the upgrade is just that and consequently all the ‘lesser’ group sets effectively upgrade to the one above, so I’d not worry about Tiagra 10 speed but you can still get new Ultegra 10 speed. I’ve also benefitted from the vanity of cyclists who do upgrade and picked up a perfectly useable 10 speed Dura Ace RD from eBay ( works fine with 105 shifters).

si_c

Guru
Probably not worth upgrading as you can put a spacer on the freehub and continue to use your existing gear. An upgrade to 11 speed will need you to replace - Shifters, both derailleurs, cables, cassette and chain - the crankset might be ok but as an 11 speed chain is narrower you run the risk of the chain dropping between the chainwheels. You may find that you need to replace the brake calipers as well as 9 speed shifters generally use a different cable pull amount - you may be OK as the new shifters pull more cable, but the brakes may become quite grabby without a lot of control.

Depending on the groupset you upgrade to (Shimano/SRAM/Campagnolo) you are looking at around £400 so you may well be worth just buying the complete groupset rather than piecemeal upgrading parts.

OP
OP
S

Seville62

Thanks for all the advice. Superbly helpful!! Consolidating it all I will hold off buying anything until my existing groupset runs out and review. Bizarrely, I have never thought of buying secondhand stuff off ebay. I have always fought shy of buying a bike there but parts makes complete sense. Thanks again for your support and helpful suggestions. :-)

Top Bottom