Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dubhghall

My Father-in-Law needs his chainset replaced on a much loved Specialized Hybrid / Tourer. It is currently 7spd with grip shifters which he wants to change to thumb shifters.
As he (desperately!) needs a new cassette, chainrings and chain and wants to change shifters is there any reason why I can't put 9spd cassette, chain and shifters on?
It is a freewheel and cassette arrangement, are these standard or would a 9spd need a different freewheel to the current 7spd? Any other likely problems?
His BB seems okay, but it might be worth replacing too whilst it's getting a birthday. It is is currently a cup BB, is it worth / possible to upgrade to a Hollow Tech BB and crank. Given that his middle and big rings need replaced it is cheaper to buy a crankset as opposed to individual rings anyway. Or would the BB need faced etc?

Any advice much appreciated please. ;)

Dubhghall

Ivan Ardon

Which is it, a freewheel or a freehub+cassette back wheel?

OLDSHUNTER

ADVICE

consider the price of new parts [the higher the standard the higher the price ]if getting new parts then you will probably and more than likely be going into three figures .but knowing the nature of the highlanders i take it you will be doing it yourself or should we say atakityulbdainityerselken [lol]. best hing tae dae is add up cost of new parts to equivelent bike that u wid like? possible sell current bike i agree grip shift ain't nice .p.s if you are in employment ask your work about joining bike to work scheme thats handy if yer no 2 flush.
KEEP IN MIND WHAT STANDARD YOU WANT FROM BIKE

AWE THE BEST NEVER MIND THE REST

OP
OP
dubhghall

dubhghall

Thanks OLDSHUNTER, yes the bits come to about £180 by the time new tyres are added in and so a new bike is probably the sensible solution.
But, this is my Father-in-Law's trusty tourer which he has done many a mile on around Europe, with another tour across the water in a few weeks time. He has tried a few new bikes this summer and feels that his Spesh is by far the comfiest for him and so wants to stick with it.

Just need to know if a 9spd cassette will go on a freehub which currently has a 7spd one on??

Landslide

Rare Migrant
You can change the freehub body (not the entire hub) from 7 speed to 9 speed. This will entail respacing the axle, and probably a bit of wheel re-dishing.

What's the current gear on it? Shimano? SRAM? A mixture?

OLDSHUNTER

then i take it your keeping bike [canny scotsman] being one myself i canny go past abandon bikes without salvaging. Got a set of intergrated brake thumb shifters 7spd if of use? shimano early type can't remember name of bike that they are from although it was'nt budget spec.Although if you are going for the 9 conversion then they won't be any good unless your sticking with 7?

OP
OP
dubhghall

dubhghall

OLDSHUNTER said:
Got a set of intergrated brake thumb shifters 7spd if of use?

Thanks very much. I will explore changing the freehub body first as he would like to go to 9spd if feasible.
If it is going to be a lot of hassle / expense we will stick with 7spd - and I will be back to you for the shifters!! Thanks

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
FWIW, I upgraded an old bike to 7 spd STi (Shimano Acera, I think).

The only wrinkle in the whole process was the levers only coming in V-brake versions (these DON'T work with the cantis the bike had as original equipment) so some Acera V-brakes went on too. The shifters are much better than the originals (200CX) as are the V brakes - Mrs Monkey is very happy with the bike overall. Total cost was about £40, give or take.

Top Bottom