Upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Entrenous

Hi There,

I have been a commuting cyclist in London for about 4 years now (20 mile daily round trip)

Want to upgrade now to a fairly decent road bike as I have at least 3 trips, London to Brighton plus a 180 mile Welsh trip coming up..... but have no idea where to start.

I have been looking at Genesis, Bianchi, Trek, all sorts really but none of it really makes sense to me, I am used to riding a fairly clapped out entry level hybrid.

I have borrowed a friend 7 speed Aende time trial bike, love it and it is very fast, it's old so the gear change is on the frame and I cannot get used to it.

Any pointers as to what I should be looking for?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

accountantpete

Brexiteer
My advice would be to stick to the major brands -Trek,Giant,Bianchi and Specialized etc as the frames will be reasonably good.

Then get a good groupset - Shimano Sora and above or any Campag.

Ideally you then want Carbon forks/seat tube to make life a little more comfy.

Depending on your legs and remembering that Wales can be hilly you might want a triple or compact.

The remaining components on the bike (at circa £500-700) are likely to be cheap and nasty but should last you a season.

Try and get a test ride before buying.

jimboalee

Waste of time 'test-riding' a bicycle, unless you are ABSOLUTELY certain it is adjusted EXACTLY to fit you PERFECT.

When you've got £1000 to spend, best get a bike which has a frame that is sized correctly for your measurements. Not only the Seat tube length, but the seat angle, reach and head angle too.

It might not be the colour you wanted, or the maker, but it will be ergonomically correct and therefore 'comfy'.

OP
OP
E

Entrenous

jimboalee said:
Waste of time 'test-riding' a bicycle, unless you are ABSOLUTELY certain it is adjusted EXACTLY to fit you PERFECT.

When you've got £1000 to spend, best get a bike which has a frame that is sized correctly for your measurements. Not only the Seat tube length, but the seat angle, reach and head angle too.

It might not be the colour you wanted, or the maker, but it will be ergonomically correct and therefore 'comfy'.

Cheers Jim, they took some time to set up the bikes for me, I am not bothered what it looks like I just want comfort and SPEED

Top Bottom