Upgradig cassette and crank arm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jerome159

I have bought sirru specialized dont know what year. 8 speed rear cassette and 3 front. But i think previous owner changed something in tire because now they are 700x23. I really like the sram nx 12 speed. Can i swap it with sram nx or gx. Please excuse my words really new to bike.

Attachments

• 20210316_145149.jpg
    20210316_145149.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210316_145141.jpg
    20210316_145141.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210315_124815.jpg
    20210315_124815.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 10

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not a chance on that frame with 12 speed. 10 or 11 speed max.

You do know the groupset will cost more than that frame anyway ? The cassette alone will be worth more.

OP
OP
Jerome159

Jerome159

Yes ser. You are right i just want to keep the frame and so i can learn more things about bike parts. Before i buy it on amazon i just want to make sure it will fit. Thanks fossyant. I know the bottom adapter i have to. Will the cassette fit.

OP
OP
Jerome159

Jerome159

Sorry this is my first time on forum. I didnt see the first pharagraph. Thank you. I guess a new bike is better if i wanted 12 speed or higher but curiosity .... if i get a bike should i measure the back gap so in case i want to change the cassette i can do so?

OP
OP
Jerome159

Jerome159

I am new in bike. Wanted to start biking but a little over weight i cant do the road bike because of my tummy and back. Hybrid is ok. This is whats given to me. What brand is good. Just want to be healthy biking. Thanks

Sharky

Guru
Before you venture into the world of single front chainrings (1x12), try and appreciate what you already have. A 3x8 system will give 24 combinations, although there will be overlap and duplication.

Count the teeth and study the gear tables and compare. You may find that the triple will have the widest overall gear range.

Single chainrings have their own plus points. In fact two of my bikes are set up with 1x10 systems, but then my other two bikes are fixed/single speed.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you’re starting out I would stick with what you have. There’s no real advantage for you going to 10/11 speed or a 1x chainring.

The best upgrade you could do is to change the tyres back to something a bit bigger as 23c will be quite uncomfortable on poor surfaces, especially if you are on the heavy side.

:welcome: to the forum.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I agree with @Cycleops
The best 'upgrade for the bike you have is some decent tyres at least 28mm wide. When sold the tyres would likely have been 'Specialized' badged 32mm wide tyres - for a reason! And the rims are designed for that width tyre - 23mm tyres are out of spec with the rims.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/hybrid-bikes/specialized-sirrus-review
Gears: " The Specialized Sirrus (2016) is equipped with Shimano Altus, Shimano’s 8-speed entry-level mountain bike groupset,. . . with an 11-32t cassette and a triple 48/38/28t crankset, offering more than enough gearing to tackle some pretty steep gradients, both going up and going down." As @Sharky has said, that combo will give you a wider range of gears and narrower steps between each gear than some 1x.

If you wanted to go down the 12 speed route you will need a new rear wheel or just hub with a XDR driver hub to take the 10 tooth smallest cog on the cassette. I looked at it to upgrade my road bike to 2 x 12 and decided it was not worth the cost to me in wheels/hub replacement and the price of 12 speed cassettes is taking the mickey at around 249 quid. ( NB I briefly considered Shimano for electronic gearing but I think Ill wait for them to go wireless at a reasonable cost as wired seems pointless if there is a wireless alternative)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
unless your trying to stay on top of a cadence range by using small jumps in gear ratios with a higher number of gears at the back i wouldnt bother wasting the cash just for the sake of it
MY commuter is an 8 speed double and it works just as well as my 10 speed systems which i use for club rides

OP
OP
Jerome159

Jerome159

Before you venture into the world of single front chainrings (1x12), try and appreciate what you already have. A 3x8 system will give 24 combinations, although there will be overlap and duplication.

Count the teeth and study the gear tables and compare. You may find that the triple will have the widest overall gear range.

Single chainrings have their own plus points. In fact two of my bikes are set up with 1x10 systems, but then my other two bikes are fixed/single speed.
Thank you so much

OP
OP
Jerome159

Jerome159

If you’re starting out I would stick with what you have. There’s no real advantage for you going to 10/11 speed or a 1x chainring.

The best upgrade you could do is to change the tyres back to something a bit bigger as 23c will be quite uncomfortable on poor surfaces, especially if you are on the heavy side.

:welcome: to the forum.
Thank you so much very appreciated

OP
OP
Jerome159

Jerome159

unless your trying to stay on top of a cadence range by using small jumps in gear ratios with a higher number of gears at the back i wouldnt bother wasting the cash just for the sake of it
MY commuter is an 8 speed double and it works just as well as my 10 speed systems which i use for club rides
Thank you so much

OP
OP
Jerome159

Jerome159

Im a bit confused in a forum but i hope everyone can see who gave me ideas on a bike. Thank you very appreciated.

Top Bottom