Upgrading Shimano Sora to Shimano 105 R7000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there,

I currently own a Specialized Allez Sport 2012 and want to upgrade the groupset from Soras to 105s.

By the way I don't know much about replacing the groupsets other than the basics meaning that I don't know if certain things need replacing.

What would need to change (for example would the wheel need replacing and so forth).

I want to upgrade the groupset as theoretically this bike will last for my lifetime if I don't have a major accident and I want it to feel like new again.

So can anybody help me and if so thanks in advance.

Jameshow

Veteran
Yes you need to replace the rear wheel. You will also need to replace the rest of the group set.

So you might be better of selling the allez and buying a 105 bike?

I'd suggest looking at tiagra 4700 which means you can keep the rear wheel.

DRM

Guru
Latest version of Tiagra is fantastic, the gear change is noticeably better than the previous version, which was excellent any way

I dont mind replacing the rear wheel but which would be best?

Thanks

You sound quite set on 105! Maybe try Merlin, 105 groupo £499 and a range of well priced rear wheels for rim brakes.
I had an Allez and it is a solid frame. Reading a 2012 review of your bike has maybe made me eat humble pie ^_^

Here it is: we will argue that you can hang a Shimano Ultegra, or SRAM Force group off this A1 aluminum frame and go racing all the way up to a top domestic level.

*edit

Mavic Aksiums not in stock at Merlin but good upgrade if you have stock wheels ^_^
https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycl...VLe7mCh24NAw8EAQYASABEgJ2p_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

IronMan834638

Btw I have found a 700c wheel for 45 pounds and is pretty much brand new.

How would I know if this will fit other than it being a 700c road bike wheel it is a shimano rs010?

OP
OP
I

IronMan834638

Ok btw I have decided against the 105 purely for price reasons. Although would be great, it is very pricey and I may as well get a new bike for 600 pounds and upwards. So I am edging towards the newer Soras as I want it to feel new again but without inviting mothballs to my wallet. What would be recommended Soras or Tiagras bearing in mind I am thinking a lot about price?

Ok btw I have decided against the 105 purely for price reasons. Although would be great, it is very pricey and I may as well get a new bike for 600 pounds and upwards. So I am edging towards the newer Soras as I want it to feel new again but without inviting mothballs to my wallet. What would be recommended Soras or Tiagras bearing in mind I am thinking a lot about price?

Tiagra, basically 10sp 105 from a few years back anyway, great value imo and a good match with your decent frame.
Seen this? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12548455...MI3Jymw5zt-QIVB-7tCh3j6AaxEAQYByABEgIe7vD_BwE

OP
OP
I

IronMan834638

That's actually pretty good value don't know about it though as the derailleur looks like it's been through a smack and a scrape before and to be honest would prefer new stuff so I know it is going to work properly and will last. So if we are talking brand new do you think I should just stay with Soras but upgrade to the newer 3500 series or go to Tiagras?

OP
OP
I

IronMan834638

Yes you need to replace the rear wheel. You will also need to replace the rest of the group set.

So you might be better of selling the allez and buying a 105 bike?

I'd suggest looking at tiagra 4700 which means you can keep the rear wheel.
I don't want to sell the Allez as I want it to be somewhat worthwhile. As I can use this bike for a long time (as long as no serious damage occurs)

Top Bottom