Upgrading Shimano Sora to Shimano 105 R7000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's actually pretty good value don't know about it though as the derailleur looks like it's been through a smack and a scrape before and to be honest would prefer new stuff so I know it is going to work properly and will last. So if we are talking brand new do you think I should just stay with Soras but upgrade to the newer 3500 series or go to Tiagras?
Tiagra for me having owned it, good comparison here https://biketestreviews.com/shimano-tiagra-vs-shimano-sora/
That's actually pretty good value don't know about it though as the derailleur looks like it's been through a smack and a scrape before and to be honest would prefer new stuff so I know it is going to work proper
That's actually pretty good value don't know about it though as the derailleur looks like it's been through a smack and a sould prefer new stuff so I know it is going to work properl
Sorry ipads gone haywire!

Jameshow

Veteran
Btw I have found a 700c wheel for 45 pounds and is pretty much brand new.

How would I know if this will fit other than it being a 700c road bike wheel it is a shimano rs010?

Rs10 are great wheels done c2c and lejog on them.

Perhaps not ideal for 120kg rider but for AVG rider they are great.

Jameshow

Veteran

Different - has a different pull ratio to 10spd 105.

Mine was a bit stiff to start with but has loosened up. Pretty much on a par with 105 though.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's actually pretty good value don't know about it though as the derailleur looks like it's been through a smack and a scrape before and to be honest would prefer new stuff so I know it is going to work properly and will last. So if we are talking brand new do you think I should just stay with Soras but upgrade to the newer 3500 series or go to Tiagras?

You can get a new Tiagra 4700 rear mech for £8 (albeit short cage)
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra-4700-10-speed-rear-derailleur-ss
new cables and good to go

Last edited:
Connor on GCN took a 14 year old frame and new Tiagra groupset to do a 200 mile sportif that climbed the height of Everest.

The Tiagra was perfect.
His legs not so much.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm a fan of Sora. I had a bike with 105 7000 and while that was smooth as silk Sora just works reliably and cheaply.

For me cycling is mostly about the big outdoors and relaxation rather than competition and KOMs so 105 didn't offer me much.

Or upgrade to a good secondhand Ultegra 6700 10 speed group set

You know what, I find a bigger gap between Ultegra to 105 than 105 to Tiagra, maybe hoods/levers just better and cassette?
That's an aside - back to @IronMan834638 issue - I would stick with crank length as your current chainset 170 or 175mm based on your frame size.

Gunk

Guru
You know what, I find a bigger gap between Ultegra to 105 than 105 to Tiagra, maybe hoods/levers just better and cassette?
That's an aside - back to @IronMan834638 issue - I would stick with crank length as your current chainset 170 or 175mm based on your frame size.

I’ve got Ultegra 6600 on two bikes (one with the lovely ice blue SL version) it’s built like a Swiss watch, easy to service and set up and feels like it’s going to last a lifetime. I know 10 speed is now yesterdays technology but having had a bike with much newer 11 speed 105, I don’t ever miss the extra gear ratio.

OP
OP
I

IronMan834638

Yes there is it seems to have become extremely bad at shifting recently and the issue appears to be a mix of the rear derailleur having been damaged when falling of the bike and the cassette seems extremely worn. Bearing in mind this bike has had consistent use over the past 10 years.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes there is it seems to have become extremely bad at shifting recently and the issue appears to be a mix of the rear derailleur having been damaged when falling of the bike and the cassette seems extremely worn. Bearing in mind this bike has had consistent use over the past 10 years.

Are you sure it's the actual mech and not a wonky hanger?
When did you last change the chain and cassette? How are the chainrings? If everything is worn, then upgrading would make more sense

Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Are you sure it's the actual mech and not a wonky hanger?

almost certainly this, which needs sorting before deciding whether to change groupset or not.

get the shifting right with the existing kit first. A new chain and cassette, aligned mech hanger and possibly new inner cables will make the bike feel like new without going to the expense of new shifters and chainset.

Top Bottom