Upgrading Sora

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hooch

Hi all, first time here. I just bought a used bike today after being out of cycling for 20+ years. It’s a Cannondale CAAD 8 with a Shimano Sora 9 speed component set. I’d like to upgrade to the current 11 speed Ultegra, which will involve a new rear wheel. My question is: Is the rear axle spacing wide enough to accommodate 11 speed? Thanks in advance!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yes, a CAAD 8 will have 130mm spacing between the dropouts so an 11 speed will slot straight in.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You can do the upgrade, but it seems like a lot of money to spend. Is there anything actually wrong with the current Sora?

wonderloaf

Veteran
Assuming it's got the old Sora 3500 groupset I'd look at saving some money and consider upgrading to the latest Sora R3000 groupset. That's what I did on my winter bike and found a marked difference between the two, the shifting is much more positive and precise. In actual fact compared to the Ultegra 6800 on the summer bike it's not far off, in some instances actually better in my opinion ... for instance on the 6800 I find the gear changes very 'clicky' but on the R3000 it's a smoother affair although a bit more shifter travel is required. Another plus is you can use the old 3500 chainset, rear derailleur and rear wheel if required. The R3000 also has the cable routing under the bar tape which is also a nice touch.

I'm currently considering getting a CX/gravel/adventure/(whatever-they're-called bike) and a Sora R3000 or Tiagra 4700 groupset is definitely on the menu.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Why bother until it wears out.
The difference is often negligible between groupsets, and sometimes just a matter of weight.
The problem with anecdotal evidence of such subtle differences from the likes of us, is that prejudice can play as much of a part as a slightly sticky cable outer.
I admit that you weren't actually asking our opinion!:smile:
In which case Smoking Joe's is the best answer given.:okay:

Top Bottom