Upgrading suspension forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fintious

Hi all, looking to upgrade the forks on my mtb. It has shimano XCM which are quite poor so looking for some noticeable upgrade and looking for recommendations.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Suntour XCM.

What's your budget and what travel are they (80-100mm) Also size of steerer - i.e. 1 1/8th straight or a tapered steerer (let us know what bike).

Budget is the starting point.

OP
OP
F

Fintious

Sorry, yes Suntour👍 . No idea what travel they are or which steerer - sorry. It’s a Specialized Pitch Comp (2019). Budget would be about £300 I guess

OP
OP
F

Fintious

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry, yes Suntour👍 . No idea what travel they are or which steerer - sorry. It’s a Specialized Pitch Comp (2019). Budget would be about £300 I guess
From online spec
SR Suntour XCM 27.5, coil, custom Multi-Circuit damping, 80/100mm of travel (size-specific)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are most likely looking at Rock Shox Reba or Judy (on discount) but you'll need 9mm x 100mm quick release and 100mm of travel so you don't need a new front wheel. These are air forks, but aren't as in ready supply as they were (ever changing 'standards').:wacko:

Got to love Specialized description. The XCM's are basic coil forks, and heavy. Your other main issue is you need to see if it's a tapered steerer.

The spesh site isn't letting me know that, so you can either drop the fork out and check if the bottom bearing is bigger than the top (that's tapered, and you'll see the steerer flare out at the bottom and get measuring the tube, - if one is bigger it's most likely 1-1/8th to 1-1/4, but could even be 1-1/4 to 1-1/2

swapped my fork last Spring. wasn't much of an upgrade, but it doesn't sqeak like the last one, it's new & it has 20mm more of travel. my videos are much happier w/o the squeak! doing my best to keep it clean & lubed. wound up spending as much on the tools as I spent on the inexpensive fork itself

MTB fork.JPG

0a DSCN3312.JPG

0a DSCN3325.JPG

0a DSCN3334.JPG

0a DSCN3347.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom