Upgrading to Shimano 105 groupset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking to upgrade from Shimano Tiagra to Shimano 105 groupset on my 2011 Trek Lexa SL in the hope of improving its performance. This would mean changing from Triple to Compact. Would this be recommendable?

If not, any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

pclay

Veteran
Unless your existing group set is broken or worn, you wont get much benefit from upgrading. 105 changes gears, and tiagra also changes gears just as well.

Are we talking 10 speed here? If so the only benefit will be aesthetics as the cables are routed under the bar tape for 105 5700.

If you are replacing the group set because your existing one is worn then buy the best you can afford. 105 is a good bet.

Last edited:

Jason

You will lose a few grams by changing from a triple to compact chainset, but the performance benefit will be minimal. If the existing triple is worn out then yes, why not :-)

lighter wheels would be better upgrade

OP
OP
Tazmanian Devil

Tazmanian Devil

Regular
Unless your existing group set is broken or worn, you wont get much benefit from upgrading. 105 changes gears, and tiagra also changes gears just as well.

Are we talking 10 speed here? If so the only benefit will be aesthetics as the cables are routed under the bar tape for 105 5700.

If you are replacing the group set because your existing one is worn then buy the best you can afford. 105 is a good bet.

My Trek Lexa SL has 9 speed at rear with triple chain ring at front and I have never been happy using the Shimano Tiagra gears as I find the gear levers goes out too far instead of little changing levers movements. I really like using Shimano Ultegra gears and the Shimano Ultegra 50/34 (compact), which I use on my Trek Silque SLX.

I have no idea of how the Shimano 105 gear changing performs, whether it will be similar to that of Shimano Tiagra or almost as good as Shimano Ultegra?

I'll chime in and say, despite the naysayers, I noticed shifting was markedly improved when upgrading to 5800 from the previous generation of 105 (5700), particularly the amount of pressure you had to put on the front derailleur. If you are coming from 4600 Tiagra, I would say it would be worth doing if your chainrings, cassette and chain are worn out. If you are already on 4700, stick with that though, as I hear that's better than the old 105, so you won't benefit much from the upgrade. You might have to factor in the cost of a new wheel to upgrade to 11 speed if your hub isn't compatible with the 11 speed cassette.

Upgrading will not make your faster, it's not as cheap as replacing the worn components like for like either.

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
11 speed shifting was a lot better than 10 speed and previous, when I upgraded. 5800 is close to 6800 in performance to be fair.

Don't underestimate the value of more ergonomic shifters though. People don't seem to value this, but I think that it's essential as spend most of my time riding on them.

If you prefer the shape of them comparing between your bikes, then your halfway to a worthwhile upgrade.

Drago

Legendary Member
The quality of the cables used is liable to make a greater difference to shift quality than simply moving up a single rung in the Shimano hierarchy.

davidphilips

Veteran
Tiagra is a good groupset TBH I dont think you would notice a vast improvement in either your average speed or quality of shifters and brakes etc.

Having said that i perhaps would fit a 105 or even a used ultega and sell your tiagra on ebay this way it would keep costs down.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
IMG_0178.JPG

Top Bottom