Upgrading to Shimano Ultegra 10 Spd - Quick Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grecinos

Veteran
Hello folks,

I have a quick question. I have a Road Bike with Shimano Ultegra 9 Speed through out. I would like to upgrade it to Ultegra 10 Speed (I've already purchased the Shifters, 10 Spd Cassette, Chain, and Rear Derailer). I'd like to know if it's necessary to buy a new Front Derailer and/or a new 10 speed Crank Set, or can I use the 9 Speed components? My sources said I can, but would like verification.

TIA,

George

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Bump, I think you can, but I am sure someone will confirm (or not) soon.

Crankarm

Guru
I was going to do just what you are intending. All you need is 10spd shifters (obviously), 10 spd chain, 10spd cassette. I got Ultegra 10spd shifters, chain and cassette in jan, but for other unrelated reasons have yet to fit them. The 9spd Ultegra Octalink chainset is fine to use with 10spd as are the front and rear deraillieurs. Only fly in the oinkment is that if you use a Shimamo Ultegra 10spd chain there is no quick link available - yet. Not even a Wipperman Connex AFAIK. It's a good idea to use new cables which should be included with the shifters if they are a new OE Shimano set.

I think the 10spd cassette goes in place of the 9spd without the need for spacers or anything else. Mine is a Bontrager hub on a Trek.

What bike are you converting to 10spd?

Ps.

:biggrin:

OP
OP
G

grecinos

Veteran
Crankarm said:
I was going to do just what you are intending. All you need is 10spd shifters (obviously), 10 spd chain, 10spd cassette. I got Ultegra 10spd shifters, chain and cassette in jan, but for other unrelated reasons have yet to fit them. The 9spd Ultegra Octalink chainset is fine to use with 10spd as are the front and rear deraillieurs. Only fly in the oinkment is that if you use a Shimamo Ultegra 10spd chain there is no quick link available - yet. Not even a Wipperman Connex AFAIK. It's a good idea to use new cables which should be included with the shifters if they are a new OE Shimano set.

I think the 10spd cassette goes in place of the 9spd without the need for spacers or anything else. Mine is a Bontrager hub on a Trek.

What bike are you converting to 10spd?

Ps.

:biggrin:

Thanks for the response. I'm converting a Trek Madone 5.2 (if i remember correctly). I was told that the rear derailer won't won't work with the older 9 speed so that's why I'm replacing it with the newer 10 speed derailer. I'm hoping that I don't have to buy any more new components.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
yep. it all works for fine. one of my bikes has a 10 speed cassette, shifters and chain, and all the other components are 9speed and it all works

OP
OP
G

grecinos

Veteran
Steve Austin said:
yep. it all works for fine. one of my bikes has a 10 speed cassette, shifters and chain, and all the other components are 9speed and it all works

Excellent! I hope I have the same luck! :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
Steve Austin said:

So it is like what I said. Ultegra rear mech is 9/10spd compatible.

Crankarm

Guru
Steve Austin said:
I don't know Crankarm, i don't read your posts. What did you say?

Well you should Grandad and turn your hearing aid on :laugh:.

OP
OP
G

grecinos

Veteran
Well, I went to the LBS and gave them my bike and components for the upgrade. It will be ready tomorrow, I'll let you folks know how it turns out.

OP
OP
G

grecinos

Veteran
OK, I got the bike back from my LBS and everything looks excellent. No problems with the install. Now for the real test... Gonna go riding in the local mountains tomorrow to see how it holds up! I am HAPPY man! :smile::tongue::tongue:

Crankarm

Guru
Oh .......... I thought you were doing the upgrade yourself :wacko:? Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick.

So how much did the LBS charge you and have they done a good job?

OP
OP
G

grecinos

Veteran
They charged me $75USD. They gave it a general tune-up (ie, truing wheels). Reomoved the old components, installed the new components (that I bought from Performancebike.com, wrapped new handlebar tape (that I bought from the LBS) and cleaned the entire bike. From what I can tell, they did an EXCELLENT job. I'm going riding in a few hours from now! WOOHOO!:wacko:

Crankarm

Guru
Looks like you lucked out if they indeed did the conversion and all the rest for only the equiavlent of just over £50! Enjoy your extra gear :ohmy:.

OP
OP
G

grecinos

Veteran
Thanks! As I mentioned earlier, I went for a ride today with my new gear. Everything went great except for some minor things... I had to adjust the handle bars to bring the hoods a little more upright, and the cable for the rear derailer needs tensioning (which is expected for the first few rides). Other than that, I love it! Glad to be back on the road :sad:.

Top Bottom