Upgrading to Steel (Genesis Equilibrium) from Alloy (Aether 10) - is it worth the outlay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cool_hand

Über Member
Have owned a Genesis Aether 10 from new. The bike is still in good condition and last year the bike underwent a major service where I replaced the majority of the drive-chain parts, cables, seat, etc. (I still have the chain-rings to do). Happy with the bike but I do understand that the components are entry level. I have recently moved from riding in central London to the country and there's a big difference. Central London it was a little difficult to get any real speed up due to traffic lights every 200 yards - on the open roads I'm now travelling at max speed but I've some of the road surfaces incredibly bumpy - particularly noticeable when you're riding at velocity. Will a steel framed bike address this, make my ride a little smoother? The Genesis Equilibrium has the same geometry as the Aether 10 so it's a logical choice. I won't be buying new as on a limited budget - looking for a lightly used Equilibrium 20. Would be interested to hear opinions on moving to a steel frame. Thanks.

No.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don’t think the equilibrium takes much more than a 28mm tyre. I love mine but it’s still bumpy on 25s on rubbish surfaces.

12boy

Guru
Jan Heine in the Bicycle Quarterly Blog makes a very good case that larger tires with flexible sidewalls and lower air presure have less rolling resistance than narrow high pressure tires on less-than- smooth surfaces. He also feels the increased shock absorbency of larger, softer tires makes for a more comfortable ride, which in turn is less tiring than an uncomfortable one. I also believe that a bike with a longer wheelbase is also more suited for rough roads. I don't think Aluminum vs. Steel is as critical as inflation, tire size and bike design. Having said that, I still prefer Steel for aesthetics and durability. When comparing my 82 Holdsworth Special vs my Fuji flat bar road bike (Aluminum), both with 35 mm flexible tires, the elderly Holdsworth is by far the more comfortable bike, although I can't say if it is geometry, Steel or both.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've only recently bought my first steel bike, (also a Genesis), and it was chosen just for strength and suitability for touring rather than a perceived comfort of the frame material.

It's definitely far more comfortable than my road bikes, but of course it has more relaxed geometry and far bigger, fatter Marathon Mondial tyres, they are far and away the big factors.

I suspect that the "flex" of steel is (while true) somewhat exaggerated when people discuss it. Going from alloy to steel on like for like design and tyres, I reckon you'd struggle to know which was which as you crash through those potholes! Bigger tyres will bring you more benefit.

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
What do you mean by "travelling at velocity "

"riding at velocity" which means travelling at speed in one direction. Maybe a little to creative with my description, anyway thanks for all the replies - it's put my mind at rest that I should be looking at slightly larger tyres at lower pressure for improvements in comfort. I'd still like to upgrade my bike at some point to a steel frame/better quality components - I'd be interested to hear any suggestions outside of the Equilibrium, although I think that's where my budget lies - maybe a vintage bike or a self-build?

vickster

Legendary Member
I have recently moved from riding in central London to the country and there's a big difference. Central London it was a little difficult to get any real speed up due to traffic lights every 200 yards -
How very unusual, a London cyclist stopping for red lights :whistle:

Top Bottom