UPVC Window Packers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've taken out some integrated glass units (IGU) to measure them up for replacement. There are red packers around each corner.

Do they have any purpose other than filling in space? Would I be better off getting slightly bigger replacement units and leaving them out?

Also is there are video/webage anywhere showing how to put them back in? If I just put them on the frame then they move when I put the IGU on them.

brand

I've taken out some integrated glass units (IGU) to measure them up for replacement. There are red packers around each corner.

Do they have any purpose other than filling in space? Would I be better off getting slightly bigger replacement units and leaving them out?

Also is there are video/webage anywhere showing how to put them back in? If I just put them on the frame then they move when I put the IGU on them.

No use packers, if you get it exactly the right size there is a good chance of breaking the glass just putting it in...if you get it exactly right. Packers are different colours to denote different thicknesses I can't be bothered to go in the garage to check but I think red is 5 mill so is allowing 10 mill smaller. Mate used black or and white packers ones on my window replacements. He said ALL window frame fitters use packers ALL no exception.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
OP, how did you take them out? I would like to know how easy it is, I've now 8 panels that have condensation, some with leading work. :sad:

DWiggy

Über Member
Glazing packers come in a variety of sizes 1mm,2mm,3mm etc , they need to be re-fitted and serve two purposes, one is to lift the glass so it doesn't sit in the drainage water and the other to "toe and heal" the window so it closes correctly.

To toe and heal a side opening casement you need to pack the bottom hinge side of the unit and top handle side this acts as a brace and stops the sash from dropping, if when the window closes it catches on the bottom you will need to gently lift the sash and inset another packer until it closes correctly. Once operation correctly place packer at the opposite side (see diagram) just to stop the unit from moving.

Hope this makes sense.
tandh.jpg

DWiggy

Über Member
Also the packers shouldn't cover the drainage holes, and the glass supplier should be able to give you some packers.

brand

OP, how did you take them out? I would like to know how easy it is, I've now 8 panels that have condensation, some with leading work. :sad:
Mate said he normally charges around double what he pays for the glass plus labour so should be well worth doing yourself. He replaced 13 of mine at cost plus £80. I think it was less than £500. Some big windows were among the 13 replaced.
PS on older windows the beads are on the outside which I believe is the burglars choice of position!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Interesting ... I know someone who recently went to paint a room in a newly glazed house. The house was cold so they switched the heating on. An hour later one of the DG panes cracked, and a while later the panel in the other window did. Sounds like the glazers didn't allow the expansion room!

DWiggy

Über Member
Interesting ... I know someone who recently went to paint a room in a newly glazed house. The house was cold so they switched the heating on. An hour later one of the DG panes cracked, and a while later the panel in the other window did. Sounds like the glazers didn't allow the expansion room!
This can sometimes happen if there is a "shell" (Chip) on the edge of the unit.

DWiggy

Über Member
It would be unlikely that 2 separate panels in one room had that kind of damage. I could see fitters making the same sizing mistake on both windows though.
If they made the units tight that wouldn't help either as no room for expansion.

DWiggy

Über Member
[QUOTE 3578557, member: 9609"]I replaced some in my parents house and I don't recall seeing any spacers, I bought units of the exact same size, I used some match sticks to lift the DG unit off the bottom of the recess and packed the sides with some bluetac to stop it moving, seems to have been ok for the last 5 to 10 years.[/QUOTE]
TBH packers are used by the trade and are advised when installing but you could use anything really as you did.

brand

P
[QUOTE 3578528, member: 45"]This may not be a risk, depending on the make. If the fitter used good double-sided tape then any burglar would struggle to get the glass out from the outside.[/QUOTE]
They did. Still better on the inside, on the other hand I ain't replacing all my widow frames on the off chance of a extra competent burglar getting passed my curtain twitching neighbours!

Top Bottom