Urgent advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
my girlfreind had her bike knicked last Wednesday , we have found it findthat bike site , linked to gumtree , but it says when clicked ad no longer available , what can be done ? Any ideas ?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'd report it to the Police with whatever proof of ownership / photos etc you can muster and put them onto the sellers tail to chase who they sold it on to.

If you've already reported it then contact them with the crime number and have the latest info added to the crime with a request for it to be followed up - as opposed to them thinking you're just making them aware for info only.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Try contacting the seller "is the bike still available mate ?" "can you text me if it is please"
worse case scenario, you don't get a reply, on the other hand if they do reply , you have a mobile number.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'd report it to the Police with whatever proof of ownership / photos etc you can muster and put them onto the sellers tail to chase who they sold it on to.
If you've already reported it then contact them with the crime number and have the latest info added to the crime with a request for it to be followed up - as opposed to them thinking you're just making them aware for info only.

^^^ - This - ring plod, advise you've found it and ask them to get onto it.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Cheers , it has got a crime number , but no joy till Monday with cops , no way of contacting seller , if there was I wouldnt be getting the police involved ,
It was pinched in Chiswick but for sale in Richmond , have gumtree any legal obligation re the sale of stolen stuff ?
The big give away is the rear skewer is off my turbo trainer , you can see it plain as day on the GTree ad

Last edited:
Hire a Private Investigator with a reputation for breaking people's legs :rolleyes: In seriousness I'm not sure how to handle that but best of luck!

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Cheers , it has got a crime number , but no joy till Monday with cops , no way of contacting seller , if there was I wouldnt be getting the police involved ,
It was pinched in Chiswick but for sale in Richmond , have gumtree any legal obligation re the sale of stolen stuff ?
The big give away is the rear skewer is off my turbo trainer , you can see it plain as day on the GTree ad
see if the same seller has anything else for sale on gumtree or elsewhere, you could even try a facebook search using the name from gumtree, it's surprising what crops up on social networking sites.

Tim Hall

Apparently the police may not be able to do anything due to data protection, ffs !!
That's a pain. I know this doesn't help you, but I successfully recovered my stolen camera in similar circs. Had it nicked from my car in Surrey reported it to the Police. Went web searching, found it on the pre loved website, which linked to a Cash Generator in leafy Peckham. Emailed the police on a Sunday afternoon. They updated their files, emailed me back and got in touch with the Met. Met went in on the Monday and recovered it. (I didn't see it for several weeks, as it was evidence).

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
A person that GF regularly personally trains , has a 1600 followers on twitter , ( possibly because of his appearances on the Beeb ) he duly tweeted the story and thread , Gumtree have responded to him this evening to say they are following this up and once Police informed they will contact Gumtree Law inforcement team and follow it up
Result maybe !!
Below is the ad ,
If you look closely, you will notice that the headset spacers are at the top , I did that becsuse the bars were to high for her ,
Also , check out the rear skewer , you can just make out it is differerent to the front as said earlier its off my turbo t,
It was being used as a trainer for young cyclists to learn how to shift through the gears , as per the photo at a fete she recently attended as part of a ready to ride scheme for 14-24 year olds that she has developed and being part funded Sportivate for active travel,
image.png
image.jpeg

image.png

Top Bottom