Urgent help needed before the morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmace

Hi guys, it may be a simple fix to you, but I'm not that good with bikes
I have a new bike that I've had loads of problems with in it's first 2 weeks, however I think everything is sorted now, except for this new problem.
After taking the bike back and forward to the shop I've had to take the front wheel off each time to get it in the car

Now, the mud guard is touching the left of the wheel at the bottom and the right at the top

can I just try and bend it back into shape?
do I need to take the wheel off and do it?

any suggestions to try anything else?

I don't want to break anything, it's not rigid so I suspect I can just twist it but want to make sure!

EDIT: btw, I put urgent because I'm wanting to go to work on the bike in the morning so could do with a reply before then, I wasn't meaning to be pushy

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Firstly make sure your wheel is on straight.

If it is some mudguards have metal stays with locking screws holding the mudguard to the stay. If yours is this type slacken the screws adjust the guard then retighten the screws, can be a bit fiddly. If no adjustment on yours bend them gently into place.

Good Luck ,enjoy the bike.

C

chillyuk

+1 to Banjo, but may I just add to check if you have a bracket on the mudguard that bolts under the front fork somewhere. If so check that you haven't moved it to one side under it's nut allowing the mudguard to twist. That would allow the guard to twist in the manner you describe.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Hi guys, it may be a simple fix to you, but I'm not that good with bikes
I have a new bike that I've had loads of problems with in it's first 2 weeks, however I think everything is sorted now, except for this new problem.
After taking the bike back and forward to the shop I've had to take the front wheel off each time to get it in the car

Now, the mud guard is touching the left of the wheel at the bottom and the right at the top

can I just try and bend it back into shape?
do I need to take the wheel off and do it?

any suggestions to try anything else?

I don't want to break anything, it's not rigid so I suspect I can just twist it but want to make sure!

EDIT: btw, I put urgent because I'm wanting to go to work on the bike in the morning so could do with a reply before then, I wasn't meaning to be pushy

What type of Mud Guard is it? If its somethink like SKS the stays (the metal rods connecting the guard to the fork might need straightened or adjusted. Alternatively as other suggest the mounting point might have become twisted and need straightening.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Fit wheel correctly then check mudguard fitting at crown and the stays, adjust where necessary. If it's still out of kilter, ie the plastic has been warped/kinked, then you can straighten it by steaming it over a boiling kettle. Doesn't need a lot of steam and is pretty easy to do.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Fit wheel correctly then check mudguard fitting at crown and the stays, adjust where necessary.

Yip check that first. I must admit I've done that before in the past; thought the guards were bent but when I checked it was only the wheel of skew.

Top Bottom