Urgent........Tyres too fat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ak88

I have a pair of 28x700 Armadillos for tyres on my bike. Just received my pair of Mavic Open Pros from Ribble to replace my original and worn Alex rims. I checked the Mavic site before I chose them and the max width quoted is 28mm.

On moving the front over first, I fitted the tyres and tubes in as per normal and start inflating. Less than half way through and there is a more noticeable bulge around the valve are of the tyre and a few more pumps and it looks like the tyre edge is about to bulge out of the rim. I have tried rotating the tyre etc but still the same. Are my tyres too wide? Are they used so more supple and probably taken on the shape of the original rims?

Urgent help needed as I need to to sort this out before Monday's commute.

OP
OP
A

ak88

False alarm - well sort of. Asked the missus for ideas and showed her. Saw the symptoms. She asked to take the tube off and have a look at the tube........no issues. Fixed back on and this time it was fine!

Anyway - any ideas - just really curious why there was the bulge around one area as I would have thought the tube would be uniform pressure all the way round........

Still - may need new tyres soon as the rear has a large (just under 1 cm) slit - so thoughts for the usual Marathon plus 25's....

Assemble the tyre and tube on the rim (with just enough air in the tube for it to hold its shape) then push the valve down in the hole to allow the tyre bead to seat correctly in the rim before inflating to the recommended pressure. Your problem is caused by the valve base being stuck between the tyre and the rim, it needs to sit within the tyre.

Don't forget to talc the inside of the TYRE.

bonj2

No, he means the tube. You need to undo the valve with a valve key, then put some talc in a syringe and inject it into the tube. If you don't do this you WILL explode due to the free radicals inside the pressurised tube becoming too hot and not being lubricated enough.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Bonj, I don't know what you've been smoking, but can I have some?
Inside of the tyre is the place for talc. Your problem was almost certainly due to the tyre not being seated properly all the way round. By the valve is a common place for this, as Mickle says. 28s go nicely on Open Pro - I run this myself.

I'd love to hear the reasoning for the free radicals in the tube making you explode!

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
TheDoctor said:
I'd love to hear the reasoning for the free radicals in the tube making you explode!

Not sure why the free radicals would want to explode but I do know they come somewhere in the scheme of : The second coming, the fourth protocol and free the renault five.

Dave5N

Über Member
bonj said:
No, he means the tube. You need to undo the valve with a valve key, then put some talc in a syringe and inject it into the tube. If you don't do this you WILL explode due to the free radicals inside the pressurised tube becoming too hot and not being lubricated enough.
Tone it down a bit. It was funnier when you were more subtle about it.

Top Bottom