US man who drove while impaired through drugs is convicted of five 2nd degree murders.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
I think she/he refers to something similar to "joint enterprise" for some twisted reading of the concept. I understand he means that police confronted a pair of armed robbers, killing one of them, and charged the other one with the murder of his mate under some kind of "joint enterprise" construct, which is rather perverse.

C R

Guru
The way I understood @Ianboydsnr's point was that we should beware of following the US example in the way their criminal system works, as it can have very strange side effects, as in the example given.

the snail

Guru
I think she/he refers to something similar to "joint enterprise" for some twisted reading of the concept. I understand he means that police confronted a pair of armed robbers, killing one of them, and charged the other one with the murder of his mate under some kind of "joint enterprise" construct, which is rather perverse.
Yes, in the states, if you are committing a felony and someone dies then you can be charged with murder, regardless of who caused the death. Pretty irrelevant to this thread though.

You are correct, the USA is a strange place,

Sorry but I didn’t understand the point of this thread, is it to say the USA have got things right, because all I did was suggest that not to be the case, or was it just a winge about our system that values life very little?

Last edited:

Tizme

Veteran
I think, as I took it, that it was pointing out that whilst not necessarily wanting/agreeing with American law, at least if someone is killed by a driver the victims family can expect the perpetrator to get more than a slap on the wrist, if it even makes it to court, the Micheal Mason case springs to mind.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think she/he refers to something similar to "joint enterprise" for some twisted reading of the concept. I understand he means that police confronted a pair of armed robbers, killing one of them, and charged the other one with the murder of his mate under some kind of "joint enterprise" construct, which is a brilliant wheeze.

FTFY.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Thanks.

You are correct.

So a case of comparing apples and oranges then.

Thanks.

So a case of comparing apples and oranges then.

Apples being the UK system, Oranges being the USA system?

It’s funny how most of this thread is about my one post which others have thought off topic, but rather than simply post on topic, they have filled it with supposedly off topic replies

Last edited:
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Apples being the UK system, Oranges being the USA system?

It’s funny how most of this thread is about my one post which others have thought off topic, but rather than simply post on topic, they have filled it with supposedly off topic replies

Maybe if you kept on topic they'd follow suit.

You posted a garbled message that bore no relation to the topic and misinterpreted my position on the US justice system as a whole.

I gave an example of how an American court dealt with a specific road violence case and you countered with a cryptic story about an armed robbery, then extrapolated that to suggest I was comparing the two countries' entire justice systems.

Feel free to disrupt someone else's thread, there's thousands to choose from.

Maybe if you kept on topic they'd follow suit.

You posted a garbled message that bore no relation to the topic and misinterpreted my position on the US justice system as a whole.

I gave an example of how an American court dealt with a specific road violence case and you countered with a cryptic story about an armed robbery, then extrapolated that to suggest I was comparing the two countries' entire justice systems.

Feel free to disrupt someone else's thread, there's thousands to choose from.

I never suggested anything, I asked a question, you then jumped to conclusions, just like you have since you started the thread, I wrongly assumed that you were commenting on the American justice system, compared to the UK justice system, you being glasgowcyclist and America being 5000 miles away, maybe just maybe you should be a bit more clear in what you post, and it’s aims, just to give us who do not know you a chance of having some idea why you have posting something, instead of getting arsey, precious and intolerant, when someone makes a stab at a reply,

Have a nice day.

Top Bottom